This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Using Multiple Cylinder Ion Measurements for Improved Estimation of Combustion Variability
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Estimation of combustion variability can be performed by using ion currents measured at the spark plug. A scheme is here proposed that exploits the potential of using measurements from multiple cylinders to improve the estimation accuracy of combustion variability (measured by the coefficient of variation of IMEP). This is realised by dividing combustion variability into categories and having one classifier running for each cylinder with the ion current as input signal. The final estimate of combustion variability is then formed by a majority vote among the classifiers. This scheme is shown to improve estimation accuracy by up to 15% on measurements taken from highway driving in a production vehicle.
CitationByttner, S., Holmberg, U., and Wickström, N., "Using Multiple Cylinder Ion Measurements for Improved Estimation of Combustion Variability," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0042, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0042.
- Andersson I. Eriksson L. Ion sensing for combustion stability control of a spark ignited direct injected engine Technical paper 01-0552 Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) 2000
- Byttner S. Holmberg U. Wickström N. An ion current algorithm for fast determination of high combustion variability Technical paper 2004-01-0522 Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) 2001
- Byttner S. Rögnvaldsson T. Wickström N. Strategies for handling the fuel additive problem in neural network based ion current interpretation Technical paper 2001-01-0560 Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) 2001
- Eriksson Lars A real-time platform for closed-loop spark advance control Department of Electrical Engineering, Linköping University Linköping, Sweden 1997
- Heywood J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill 1988
- Rask P. Forsberg P. Using ion current information in engine control algorithms - a first approach to lean mixture limit control 1996
- Reinmann Raymond Saitzkoff André Lassesson Bengt Strandh Petter Fuel and additive influence on the ion current Technical paper 980161 Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) 1998
- Saitzkoff André Reinmann Raymond Berglind Thomas Glavmo Magnus An ionization equilibrium analysis of the spark plug as an ionization sensor Technical paper 960337 Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) 1996