This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
On the Use of a Honda 600cc 4-Cylinder Engine for Formula SAE Competition
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Formula SAE® rules require the use of a 20mm intake restrictor. The presence of the restrictor necessitates the design or retuning of fuel and spark strategies that, in turn require the use of a programmable engine control unit (ECU). This paper describes a process used to establish the fuel and spark strategies for a standard production motorcycle engine operating with a restricted air intake. Honda 600cc engines were controlled by three different ECUs: a Haltech, DTA and an “in-house” ECU. Simple calculations of injection duration are suggested to provide a baseline fuel map from which the engine could be started, and then fuel maps are tuned by experiment. Similar baseline numbers for ignition timing are given. Experimental dynamometer testing was performed to determine spark/fuel hooks, MBT timing and whether to inject onto open or closed intake valves. 1-D engine simulations were developed using both Wave® and GT-Power® to provide a simulation environment for the FSAE engine development. The 1-D models were validated with steady-state flow bench data and dynamometer tests.
CitationFarrugia, M., Rossey, M., and Sangeorzan, B., "On the Use of a Honda 600cc 4-Cylinder Engine for Formula SAE Competition," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0025, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-0025.
- Haltech Engine Management Systems Sydney Australia www.haltech.com
- DTA Competition Engine Management Systems Salford England www.dtafast.co.uk
- Oakland University's Engine Management site www.oakland.edu/∼ mfarrugi/Formula www.reataengineering.com
- Farrugia M. Farrugia M. Sangeorzan B. P. 2005 “ECU development for the Formula SAE Engine,” 2005-01-0027 ”
- WAVE, Ricardo www.ricardo.com
- GT-Power Gamma Technologies www.gtisoft.com
- Honda Service Manual 2001-2003 CBR600F4i Honda Motor Co. Ltd
- Heywood J. B. 1988 “Internal Combustion Engines” McGraw Hill
- LabView National Instruments www.ni.com