This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combustion Noise Measurements and Control from Small Diesel and Dual Fuel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 27, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Diesel has been used extensively as a fuel for small agricultural engines in many countries. As many gaseous fuels such as natural gas and LPG are available in abundance, a lot of interest is shown to substitute gas for diesel in these engines either partially or fully.
It has long been recognized that noise legislations have required the need for the development of quieter diesel engines. Although much emphasis has been given to automotive and large industrial engines, there is now also a growing interest in reducing the noise of small Diesel engines widely used in agriculture, portable and stationary applications.
In the present work, combustion noise, knock, and ignition limits data are measured and presented for a small diesel engine running on dual fuel of diesel and three gaseous fuels separately. The gaseous fuels used are liquefied petroleum gas, pure methane and compressed natural gas mixture. The maximum pressure rise rate during combustion is presented as a measure of combustion noise and the knocking and ignition limits are presented as torque output at the onset of knocking and ignition failure. Experimental investigation on the dual fuel engine revealed the noise generated from combustion, knocking, and ignition limits for all gases at different design and operating conditions.
A single cylinder small diesel engine is converted to run on dual fuel and equipped for combustion noise measurements and used throughout the work. The engine is fully computerized and the cylinder pressure data, crank angle data, engine operating variables are stored in a PC for off-line analysis. The effects of engine speeds, loads, pilot injection angle, pilot fuel quantity and compression ratio on combustion noise and knocking torque are examined for the dual engine running on the three gaseous fuels separately. The combustion noise, knocking and ignition limits, are found to relate to the type of gaseous fuels and to the engine design and operating parameters. The combustion noise emission from small diesel/dual fuel engine can be reduced by controlling the design and operating parameters of such engine.
CitationSelim, M., "Combustion Noise Measurements and Control from Small Diesel and Dual Fuel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2004-32-0072, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-32-0072.
- Balasubramanian V. Sridhara K. Ganesan V. “Performance Evaluation of a Small Agricultural Engine Operated on Dual Fuel (Diesel + Natural Gas) System” SAE 951777
- Mtui P.L. Hill P.G. Ignition Delay and Combustion Duration with Natural gas Fueling of Diesel Engines SAE paper 961933 1996
- Naber J.D. Siebers D.L. Julio Di Westbrook C.K. Effects of natural gas Composition on Ignition Delay Under Diesel Conditions Combustion and Flame 99 2 Nov. 1994 192 200
- Ergeneman M. Sorusbay C. Goktan A.G. Exhaust Emissions and Fuel Consumption of CNG/Diesel Fueled City Buses Calculated Using a Sample Driving Cycle Energy Sources 21 3 Taylor and Francis Ltd. 257 268 April 1999
- Karim G.A. Zhigang L. Examination of combustion characteristics in dual fuel engines ASME HTD Publications 357 1 Jan 14-18 1998
- Nwafar O.M.I. Rice G. Combustion Characteristics and Performance of Natural Gas in High Speed Indirect Injection Diesel Engine Renewable Energy 5 841 848 1994
- Douvile B. Performance, Emissions and Combustion Characteristics of Natural Gas Fueling of Diesel Engines M.A.Sc. Thesis University of British Columbia Canada 1994
- Daisho Y. Yaeo T. Koseki T. Saito T. Kihara R. Quiros E. N. Combustion and Exhaust Emissions in a Direct-Injection Diesel Engine Dual-Fuelled with Natural Gas SAE Paper No. 950465 1995
- Graboski M. S. McCormick R. L. Newlin A. W. Dunncuk D. L. Kamel M. M. Ingle W. D. Effect of Fuel Composition and Altitude on Regulated Emissions from a Lean-Burn, Closed Loop Controlled Natural Gas Engine SAE paper 971707 SAE Spring Fuels & Lubricants Meeting 1997
- Selim Mohamed Y.E. Thermal Loading and Temperature Distribution of a Pre Combustion Chamber Diesel Engine Running on Gasoil/Natural Gas ICE Division ASME International Spring Conference April 1998
- Selim M. Y. E. Pressure - Time Characteristics of Diesel Engine Fuelled with Natural gas Renewable Energy Journal Oct 2000 22 4 473 489
- Agarwal A. Assanis D. N. Modeling the Effect of Natural Gas Composition on Ignition Delay Under Compression Ignition Conditions SAE paper 971711 SAE Spring Fuels & Lubricants Meeting 1997
- Badr O. Karim G. A. Liu B. An Examination of the Flame Spread Limits in a Dual Fuel Engine Applied Thermal Engineering 19 1071 1080 1999
- Abd Alla G. H. Soliman H. A. Badr O. A. Abd Rabbo M. F. Effect of Injection Timing on the Performance of a Dual Fuel Engine Energy Conversion & Management 43 269 277 2002
- Luft S. The Influence of Regulating Parameters of Dual Fuel Compression Ignition Engine Fuelled with LPG on its Maximum Torque, Overall Efficiency and Emission SAE paper 2001-01-3264 2001
- Ogawa H. Miyamoto N. Li C. Nakazawa S. Akao K. Low Emission and Knock-Free Combustion with Rich and Lean Biform Mixture in a Dual-Fuel CI Engine with Induced LPG as the Main Fuel SAE paper 2001-01-3502 2001
- Jian D. Xiaohong G. Gesheng L, Xintang Z. Study on Diesel-LPG Dual Fuel Engines SAE paper 2001-01-3679 2001
- Bartolini C. M. Bossio R. B. Caresana F. “Experimental Investigation for the Noise Reduction of a Small Diesel Engine” SAE 951757 1995
- Dubey, O.P. Ghobodian, B. Bhattacharya, M. Mehta, P.S. “An Experimental Investigation of Engine Noise and Exhaust Smoke on a Small DI Diesel” SAE Paper 911255 1991
- Wahhab M.A. El-Kersh A. M. Abou-El-Seoud S.A. Correlation Study of Fuel Economy, Exhaust Emission and Noise Control of Combustion Systems With Feasibility Assessment as Applied in Minia Governorate Grant FRCU 851068, Report No. 1 Supreme Council of Universities Egypt 1986
- Schaberg P.W. Priede T. Dutkiewicz R.K. Effects of a Rapid Pressure Rise on Engine Vibration and Noise SAE paper 900013 1990
- Galinsky G. Reader G.t. Potter I.J. Gustafson R.W. Effect of Various Working Fluid Compositions on Combustion Noise in Diesel Engines 1157 1162 1994
- Abdulla A.Y. Radwan M.S. Ahmed S.H. Smoke Level and Operational Roughness of a Pre-Combustion Chamber Diesel Engine Running on Gasoil/Methanol Blends SAE paper 912358 1991
- Imoto K. Sugiyama S. Fukuzawa Y. Reduction of Combustion-Induced Noise in IDI Diesel Engine (1 st Report, target of Cycle and Low-Noise Combustion) Transactions of JSME 63 605 329 335 Jan 1997
- Nielsen O.B. Qvale B. Sorenson S. Ignition Delay in the Dual Fuel Engine SAE paper 870589 1987
- Abd Alla G.H. Soliman H.A. Badr O.A. Abd Rabbo M.F. Effect of Pilot Fuel Quantity on the Performance of a Dual Fuel Engine Energy Conversion & Management 41 559 572 2000