This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Lumped-Parameter Model for the Dynamic Analysis of Valve Train Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 27, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this work a lumped-parameter model, able to simulate the dynamic behavior of different types of valve train systems, was developed. Among the various aspects, the rocker arm flexibility, the valve lash, the possibility that the mechanical elements lose contact with each other and the possible impact of the valve in its seat were taken into account. The model includes two different descriptions of the valve spring, which can be schematized either by an ideal elastic reaction or by a multi-mass scheme, including the possibility of contact among adjacent masses.
CitationFrendo, F., Vitale, E., Carmignani, L., Gagliardi, D. et al., "Development of a Lumped-Parameter Model for the Dynamic Analysis of Valve Train Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2004-32-0051, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-32-0051.
- Lee J. Patterson D.J. “Non linear valve train dynamic simulation with a distribuited parameter model of valve springs” ASME 119 1997 692 698
- Adam M. Bakaj L. Woyand H.B. “Application of numerical simulation for the analysis of the dynamic behaviour of valve train systems” Int. J. Of Vehicle Design 11 3 1990 281 291
- Bocchi G. “Motori a quattro tempi” Hoepli, Milano 1987 in italian
- Pisano A.P. Freudenstein F. “An experimental and analytical investigation of the dynamic response of a high-speed cam follower system. Part 2: A combined, lumped/distributed parameter dynamic model” ASME Journal of Mechanism, Transmission, and Automation in Design 105 4 1983 699 704
- Chan C. Pisano A.P. “Dynamic model of a fluctuating rocker-arm ratio cam system” ASME 109 1987 356 365
- Carmignani C. “Dinamica strutturale” Edizioni ETS Pisa 2001 in italian
- Dokainish M.A. Subbaraj K. “A survey of direct time-integration methods in computational structural dynamics-II. Explicit Methods” Computers & Structures 32 6 1387 1401
- Stoer J. Bulirsch R. “ Introduction to numerical analysis ” Springer New York 1980
- Arnone L. Frendo F. Matteucci L. Naldo R. Testi R. Vitale E. “Analisi dinamica del sistema di distribuzione di un motore per uso motociclistico” Proceedings of XXXI AIAS National Conference Parma (Italy) 18-21 september 2002 in italian