This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Four-stroke Outboard Motor
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 27, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The purpose of this paper is to describe some technical features of a new type 4-stroke outboard motor, the DF250.
This model is a 4-stroke V6 outboard motor, and has the largest displacement 3,614cc and the highest maximum power 250 ps in the marketplace. The model possesses a number of remarkable features of compact engine layout, maximum output power 250 ps, high-flat torque from low to high engine revolution, and low vibration:
- 1)In order to make the engine compact, the following are adopted: V-bank angle of 55 degrees, twin throttle bodies, offset driveshaft system and two-stage camshaft drive system.
- 2)The following systems apply to this model to achieve both high output power and high-flat torque:
- Continuously variable valve timing system (VVT)
- Variable air intake pipe length system
- 3)To reduce vibration, the offset driveshaft system is adopted.