This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimisation of Gas Exchange Process on a Single Cylinder Small 4-Stroke Engine by Intake and Exhaust Tuning: Experimentation and Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 27, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A 1-D Thermodynamic analytical model is developed using commercially available code, to study the gas-exchange process in a 125cc, single cylinder 4-stroke engine. Model is validated against the experimental results by comparing the pressure traces inside the cylinder, intake and exhaust pipe. Detailed parametric study has been conducted using the analytical model to optimise the valve timing, elements of intake and exhaust manifold.
Design of experiment (DOE) technique is used to find the effect of individual parameter and optimum combination is obtained for the desired performance level. The results from analytical predictions are in good agreement with the experimental results for the optimised combination.
CitationDeshmukh, D., Kumar, R., Garg, M., Nayeem, M. et al., "Optimisation of Gas Exchange Process on a Single Cylinder Small 4-Stroke Engine by Intake and Exhaust Tuning: Experimentation and Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 2004-32-0007, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-32-0007.
- Shiga Seiichi Morita Munehiro et al. Effect of early closing of intake-valve on the engine performance in a spark-ignition engine SAE 960585
- Badami M. Millo F. Giaffreda G. Experimental and computational analysis of a high performance four-stroke motorcycle engine equipped with a variable geometry exhaust system SAE 2002-01-0001
- Blair G.P. Mackey D.O. Ashe M.C. Chatfield G.F. Exhaust tuning on a four-stroke engine: experimentation and simulation
- Thermodynamic Cycle Simulation - AVL BOOST Version 4.0 2002
- Operating Instruction Manual AVL 620 Indiset and docking station 6162
- Blair G. P. Correlation of an alternative method for the prediction of engine performance characteristics with measured data SAE 930501
- Heywood J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill series in mechanical engineering McGraw-Hill 1988
- Blair G. P. Design and Simulation of Four-Stroke Engine R-186 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1999
- Vehicle Simulation - AVL CRUISE Version 1.2 2001