This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Improved Multipurpose Grease For Automotive Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 16, 2004 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: SIAT 2004
Multipurpose greases are widely used in all automotive applications. These greases should primarily have high dropping point, good shear stability, good resistance to thermal and oxidation degradation, excellent water resistance and good compatibility with other conventional greases. ASTM D-4950 categorises the automotive greases into two classes i.e., Wheel bearing greases and Chassis greases. The GC-LB category of specification is regarded as the highest performance level for automotive greases.
In view of the critical application requirement, IOC R&D Centre has developed a high performance multipurpose grease for automotive applications. This grease has been developed in lithium complex soap doped in high viscosity refined mineral oil. This grease possesses high dropping point, good shear stability and good extreme pressure and anti-wear characteristics which are necessarily required for automotive applications. It is compatible with most other thickener systems.
Requirements as per GC-LB specification along with physico-chemical data of the improved multipurpose grease against the GC-LB specification is discussed in this paper.
|Technical Paper||SmartPlay Studio: A Connected Infotainment Development|
|Technical Paper||History of Motor Sports and Its Role in Education|
|Technical Paper||Undergraduate Engineering Education - Identifying the Need for Change|
- J P Antony - Indian Oil Corporation Ltd R & D Centre Sector-13 Faridabad
- G S Mishra - Indian Oil Corporation Ltd R & D Centre Sector-13 Faridabad
- S C Nagar - Indian Oil Corporation Ltd R & D Centre Sector-13 Faridabad
- Anoop Kumar - Indian Oil Corporation Ltd R & D Centre Sector-13 Faridabad
- K P Naithani - Indian Oil Corporation Ltd R & D Centre Sector-13 Faridabad
- A K Mehta - Indian Oil Corporation Ltd R & D Centre Sector-13 Faridabad
- S Ghosh - Indian Oil Corporation Ltd R & D Centre Sector-13 Faridabad
- N R Raje - Indian Oil Corporation Ltd R & D Centre Sector-13 Faridabad
CitationAntony, J., Mishra, G., Nagar, S., Kumar, A. et al., "An Improved Multipurpose Grease For Automotive Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2004-28-0082, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-28-0082.
- Petroleum Products and Lubricants, 2002, Annual book of ASTM Standards, 05.01, 05.02 & 05.03.
- Nanda T.L., ‘Applications, trouble shooting & possible solutions and condition monitoring techniques of greases’ 5th Education course on Automotive Lubricating Greases, organised by NLGI-India Chapter, 21-23 November, 2002 at Chennai.
- Kumar Anoop, Mittal B.D. et.al. paper on ‘High Temperature Lubricating Greases For Chassis And Wheel Bearing Applications’ proceeding of the 11th NCIT, 22-25, January, 1995.