This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Investigations on Methanol 5%+Ethanol-Gasoline Mixtures Operated Single Cylinder S I Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 16, 2004 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: SIAT 2004
Performance, combustion and emissions investigations relating to the use of Methanol 5% + Ethanol blends in a spark ignition engine are described in this paper. The engine used for experimental purpose is Enfield motorcycle engine of 13.4 Kw (18 hp). A new online multi liquid fuel mixing system has been developed for perfect mixing  and hence found better for investigating effects of various Methanol 5%+ Ethanol Gasoline blends (M5E5, M5E10, M5E15, M5E20) hence enhances engine performance and reduction in exhaust emissions could experimentally results. Performance tests conducted with this system and showed considerable performance improvement in power output and in thermal efficiency, as well as substantial reduction in BSFC, HC, CO and NOx emissions.
CitationLatey, A., Bhatti, T., Das, L., and Babu, M., "Experimental Investigations on Methanol 5%+Ethanol-Gasoline Mixtures Operated Single Cylinder S I Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2004-28-0036, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-28-0036.
- Latey A. A “Performance, Combustion and Emission Characteristics of a Single Cylinder S. I. Engine operating on Gasoline and Alcohol Blends through Conventional and Improved Mixture Preparation Techniques” Centre for Energy Studies, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi August 2003
- Osamu, Hirao Pefley Richard K. “Present and future Automotive Fuels” John Wiley & Sons, A. Wiley -Interscience publications 1987
- Sandquist Hakan Karlsson Maria Denbratt Ingemar “Influence of Ethanol Content in Gasoline on Speciated Emissions from a Direct Injection Stratified Charge SI engine” 2001 SAE Transaction Journal of Engines 2001-01-1206
- Karol Dutkiewicz Ryszard Edgar Jones Ronald Henry Clarke Ralph Conrad Stone Adrian “The Use of Heavy Alcohols as a Blend with Diesel - Environmental Effects” The International Symposium on Alcohol Fuels (ISAF) in Beijing October 1998
- Schifter, M. Vera Diaz L. Guzman E. Ramos F. Lopez-Salinas E. “Environmental Implications on the Oxygenation of Gasoline in the Metropolitan area of Mexico City” American Chemical Society Journal of Environmental Science & Technology 35 10 2001
- Hsieh Wei-Dong Chen Rong-Hong Wu Tsung-Lin Lin Ta-Hui “Engine performance and pollutant emission of an SI engine using ethanol-gasoline blended fuels” Journal of Atmospheric Environment 36 2002 403 410
- Jajoo B.N. Deshmukh M.M. “Experimental Studies Using Alcohol - Petrol Blends on a Two Stroke S.I. Engine Fitted With a Heated Catalytic Converter” Proceedings of the XIV National Conference on IC Engines and Combustion December 8 - 10 1995 81
- Heywood, John B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw Hill 1988