This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance Improvement of a CNG-Fuelled Spark Ignited Engine by Hydrogen Addition
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 16, 2004 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: SIAT 2004
Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) has been regularly used as a fuel for transportation sector. Hydrogen has been found to posse the unique feature close to that of a zero emission vehicles. Mixture of CNG and Hydrogen can further improve the performance and emission characteristics of a CNG-fuelled engine. This paper describes the results of an experimental study carried out on a spark ignition engine in the Engines and Unconventional Fuels Lab of Centre for Energy Studies in Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi. It has been observed that addition of 10% and 15% hydrogen on energy basis to operate a CNG-fuelled engine significantly improves the performance and emission characteristics of the system.
CitationDas, L., Swain, R., and Polly, M., "Performance Improvement of a CNG-Fuelled Spark Ignited Engine by Hydrogen Addition," SAE Technical Paper 2004-28-0033, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-28-0033.
- Karim Ghazi A. “Hydrogen as a spark ignition engine fuel” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 28 2003
- Das L.M. “Hydrogen Engines: A View of the Past and a Look into the Future” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 15 6 1990
- Norbeck Joseph M. Heffel James W. Durbin Thomas D. Tabbara Bassam Bowden John M. Montano Michelle C. “Hydrogen Fuel for Surface Transportation” Society of Automotive Engineers USA 1996
- Das L.M. “Near-term introduction of hydrogen engines for automotive and agricultural application” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 27 2002
- Swain Michel R. Yusuf Mirza J. “The effects of hydrogen addition on natural gas engine operation” SAE paper no. 932775
- Raju A.V.S. Nagalimgam B. “Part throttle performance of a spark ignition engine using CNG and Hydrogen added CNG” 16 th All India proceedings on I.C. Engines and Combustion 1998
- Das L.M. “Hydrogen engine: research and development (R&D) programmes in Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 27 2002
- Das L.M. Gulati Rohit Gupta P.K. “Performance evaluation of a hydrogen-fuelled spark ignition engine using electronically controlled solenoid-actuated injection system” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 25 2000