This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Biodiesel: An Environmental Evaluation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 16, 2004 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: SIAT 2004
This paper is an evaluation of biodiesel for use in the U.S. Coast Guard vessels. It includes environmental impact, regulatory and operational requirements, and any adversities of biodiesel if used in USCG fleet. The information gathered in this evaluation is mostly from the National Biodiesel Board (NBB) Information Kit (Thessen) and from proceedings of a Biodiesel Educational Workshop (Jobe), provided by NBB. Information is also gathered from Biodiesel Internet (www.biodisel.org) where a number of biodiesel studies are listed. Information from the Defense Energy Support Center (DESC) has also been used. Over 100 research papers in last 5-6 years have been published on various aspects of biodiesel. The interpretation of the information gathered is that of the authors in the best interest of the USCG fleet.
CitationBindal, H. and Tong, L., "Biodiesel: An Environmental Evaluation," SAE Technical Paper 2004-28-0026, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-28-0026.
- Thessen, Bev “Biodiesel, Information Kit” National Biodiesel Board Jefferson City, MO June 2000
- Jobe, Joe Tyson, K.S. McCahon, Sam Howell, Steve Hartney, Peter Nazzaro, Paul “Biodiesel Educational Workshop” Sept. 1999
- Goetzinger, John Ray Anderson “Quantification and Improvements of the Long Term Storage Stability of Biodiesel and Biodiesel Blends” December 1997
- Bessee, Gary Fay, Joseph “Compatibility of Elastomers and Metals in Biodiesel Fuel Blends” December 1997
- Frank, Bernd Reinhardt, Guido “Environmental Impact of Biodiesel Use” BioEnergy January 1998
- Mushrush, George “Biodiesel Fuel: The Use of Soy Oil as a Blending Stock for Middle Distillate Petroleum Fuels” Naval Research Laboratory January 2000
- Wedel, Randall “Marine Biodiesel in Recreational Boats” Cyto Culture Environmental Biotechnology April 1999