This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Chassis Control: An Overview of the Present and a Look to the Future
Published October 18, 2004 by Convergence Transportation Electronics Association in United States
Annotation ability available
The title of this Convergence session, “Digital Driving Increases Consumer Value,” suggests that particular electronic innovations in the passenger vehicle have perceptibly increased the appreciation that consumers have for their vehicles. In this paper, we explore this premise by focusing on chassis control systems.
The introductory section of the paper looks at some issues relating to these systems including the underlying concept of the car, costs, and integration. In the second section, we discuss some aspects of the Ferrari approach to the conception of the GT car. The third section looks at two contemporary trends, namely, that of the reduction of electronic content in the car, and the influence of F1 racing. In the final sections, we present a few thoughts about customer perceptions of chassis control systems and conclude with some future scenarios.
|Technical Paper||Stability-Enhanced Traction and Yaw Control using Electronic Limited Slip Differential|
|Technical Paper||Prospects and Aspects of an Integrated Chassis Management ICM|
|Technical Paper||Integration Chassis Control (ICC) Systems of Mando|
CitationMcClanahan, B., Visconti, A., and Zen, G., "Chassis Control: An Overview of the Present and a Look to the Future," SAE Technical Paper 2004-21-0077, 2004.
- Prasad, K. Venkatesh “The Emerging Fabric of Seamless Mobility.” Proceedings, Convergence 2000 206 [2000-01-CO33]
- “Ford 24-7 Design Review,” Car Design News http://www.cardesignnews.com/events/detroit2000/features/ford24-7designreview.html
- Robinson, Michael “Perceived Quality.” Proceedings, Convergence 2000 . [2000-01-CO3]
- Visconti, A. Fedeli R. Longhi A. “Aerodynamics Drives Chassis Design on Ferrari 360 Modena Proceedings, SAE 2000 World Congress March 2000 [ 2000-01-0093 ]
- Interview April 19 2002
- Ferrari Enzo brochure 2002
- Automotive News Europe 1 5 31 04
- Wolfsried, Stephan “Information and communication systems - New trend towards systems offering many customer benefits.” 8 th International Congress - Advances in Automotive Electronics June 15 2004
- Berry, Leonard L. Bendapudi N. “Clueing In Customers.” Mayo Magazine Fall Winter 2003 24 31
- Green, Bob “Debugging the Driver: Cause and Effect, Delusions of Adequacy and the Supporting Technologies of the Automotive Social Experience.” Proceedings, Convergence 2002 276
- Milliken, Doug “Best Handling Cars.” Road and Track March 16 1999
- Brochure: “Der neue BMW M5,” 2004
- Longinotti-Buitoni, McClanahan et al. “What is a Car?” Proceedings, Convergence 2000
- Hanneman, Neil Buckley S.J. McClanahan Betty Lou “The Role of Vehicle Control Expertise in the Product Development Process.” Proceedings, SAE Motorsports Conference 1998