This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Driving Assistance Provided by Adaptive Cruise Control
Published October 18, 2004 by Convergence Transportation Electronics Association in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper discusses the values that Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) systems can provide to the consumer now and in the future. It contains results from research applicable to understanding ACC behavior in traffic streams. The paper includes findings on (1) non-intrusive means for characterizing ACC behavior, (2) the influence of ACC behavior on the microscopic properties of traffic flow, and (3) prospects for the use of ACC systems to relieve driver frustration in heavy traffic as well as contributing to smoother traffic flow.
|Technical Paper||Radar-based Target Tracking Method: Application to Real Road|
|Technical Paper||Forward Sensing System for LKS+ACC|
|Journal Article||A New Method for Target Object Selection for ACC System Based on Analysis of Vehicle Trajectories|
CitationFancher, P., Bareket, Z., and Ervin, R., "Driving Assistance Provided by Adaptive Cruise Control," SAE Technical Paper 2004-21-0076, 2004.
- Fancher, P. et al. Intelligent Cruise Control (ICC) Field Operational Test UMTRI, Tech. Rept. DOT-HS-808-849 1998
- Fancher, P. et al. Fostering the Development, Evaluation, and Deployment of Forward Crash-Avoidance Systems (FOCAS) UMTRI, Tech. Rept. UMTRI-2000-27 2000
- Fancher, P. et al. Research on Desirable Adaptive Cruise Control Behavior in Traffic Streams UMTRI, Tech. Rept. UMTRI-2002-16, (Phase I) 2002
- Fancher, P. et al. Research on Desirable Adaptive Cruise Control Behavior in Traffic Streams UMTRI, Tech. Rept. UMTRI-2003-14 (Phase 2) 2003
- Fancher, P. et al. “Relationships between Manual Driving and Driving with Adaptive Cruise Control,” 7 th International Symposium on Advanced Vehicle Control (AVEC'04) 23-27 August 2004
- Bareket, Z. et al. “Methodology for Assessing Adaptive Cruise Control Behavior,” IEEE Transactions in Intelligent Transportation Systems 4 3 September 2003
- Ervin, R. et al. “System for Assessment of the Vehicle Motion Environment (SAVME),” University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute August 2000
- Lee, Kangwon “Longitudinal Driver Model and Collision Warning and Avoidance Algorithms Based on Human Driving Databases” Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan 2004
- Ioannou, P.A. Chien, C.C. “ Intelligent Cruise Control ,” IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol. 42 4 657 672 Nov. 1993
- Sheikholeslam, S. Desoer, C. “ A System-Level Study of the Longitudinal Control of a Platoon of Vehicles ,” ASME J. Dyn. Syst. Meas. Contr. 1991
- LeBlanc, D. et al “Forward Collision Warning: Preliminary Requirements for Crash Alert Timing” SAE paper 2001-01-0462 March 2001