This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Concept and Functionality of the Active Front Steering System
Published October 18, 2004 by Convergence Transportation Electronics Association in United States
Annotation ability available
Active Front Steering (AFS) provides an electronically controlled superposition of an angle to the steering wheel angle. This additional degree of freedom enables a continuous and driving-situation dependent adaptation of the steering characteristics. Features like steering comfort, effort and steering dynamics are optimized and stabilizing steering interventions can be performed.
After the successful introduction of AFS (or active steering) together with the new BMW 5-series into the international market, ZF Lenksysteme focuses on aspects like system modularization and integration. For that reason the system bounds, its functionality, and the required system interface are defined to provide a compatibility to several overall chassis control concepts. This paper focuses on a modular system concept and its respective advantages and requirements.
|Technical Paper||Active Front Steering (Part 2): Safety and Functionality|
|Technical Paper||Active Front Steering (Part 1): Mathematical Modeling and Parameter Estimation|
|Technical Paper||Development of Active Front Steering Control System|
CitationKlier, W., Reimann, G., and Reinelt, W., "Concept and Functionality of the Active Front Steering System," SAE Technical Paper 2004-21-0073, 2004.
- Klier, W. Reinelt, W. Active Front Steering (Part 1) - Mathematical Modeling and Parameter Estimation SAE technical paper 2004-01-1102 , SAE World Congress, Steering & Suspension Technology Symposium Detroit, USA March 2004
- Klier, W. Reimann, G. Reinelt, W. 2004 March 2004 569 583
- Reinelt, W. Klier, W. Lundquist, Ch. Reimann, G. Schuster, W. Großheim, R. Active Front Steering for Passenger Cars - System Modelling and Functions IFAC Symposium - Advances in Automotive Control Italy April 2004 697 702 2004
- Knoop, M. Leimbach, K.-D. Verhagen, A. 1999
- Köhn, P. Baumgarten, G. Richter, T. Schuster, M. Fleck, R. 2002 1093 1109 2002
- Fleck, R. 2003
- Reinelt, W. Klier, W. Reimann, G. Active Front Steering (Part 2) - Safety and Functionality SAE technical paper 2004-01-1101 , SAE World Congress, Steering & Suspension Technology Symposium Detroit, USA March 2004
- Reinelt, W. Klier, W. Reimann, G. 2004 March 2004 49 58 2004
- Eckrich, M. Pischinger, M. Krenn, M. Bartz, R. Munnix, P. 2002 1169 1183 2002
- Kirchner, A. Schwitters, F. September 2004