This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Validation of a Computer Simulation of a High Performance Two-Stroke Motorcycle Racing Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 30, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The improvement of computer simulation packages with experimentally validated sub-models has benefited the engine designer in reducing development time and costs. Such packages offer invaluable information regarding the internal gas dynamics and gas exchange characteristics.
Presented are measured dynamometer results of a RS Honda 125 cm3 two-stroke single-cylinder motorcycle grand prix road-racing engine operating at full throttle from 9000 rev/min to 13000 rev/min. The engine is instrumented to provide in-cylinder and exhaust pipe pressure crank-angle histories.
All relevant engine geometry, discharge coefficients, scavenging characteristics and combustion data are used to simulate the engine using a one-dimensional (1-D) engine simulation package. In-cycle crankshaft angular velocity fluctuations are also considered. Performance parameters such as power, BMEP and delivery ratio, together with pressure diagrams are compared to the measured data. In addition, exhaust pipe changes are modeled and also compared to measured results.
Overall, the simulation package, using crankshaft speed fluctuations, is demonstrated to show excellent ability to predict the operating characteristics of a high performance two-stroke engine over the entire speed range and its use as a valuable design tool is established.
CitationFleck, B., Fleck, R., Kee, R., Chatfield, G. et al., "Validation of a Computer Simulation of a High Performance Two-Stroke Motorcycle Racing Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3561, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-3561.
- Blair G.P. Design and Simulation of Two-Stroke Engines SAE, R-161 1-56091-685-0 Warrendale, PA 1996
- Blair G.P. Design and Simulation of Four-Stroke Engines SAE, R-186 0-7680-0440-3 Warrendale, PA 1999
- Benson R.S. Horlock J.H. Winterbone D.E. The Thermodynamics and Gas Dynamics of Internal Combustion Engines 1 2 0-19-856210-1 0-19-856212-8
- Gustafsson R.U.K. Blair G.P. Jonsson B.I.R. Reducing Exhaust Emissions and Increasing Power Output Using a Tuned Exhaust Pipe on a Two-Stroke Engine SAE Paper No. 2001-01-1853
- Bozza F. Gimelli A. A Comprehensive 1D Model for the Simulation of a Small-Size Two-Stroke SI Engine SAE Paper No. 2004-01-0999
- Hull W. Beu J. Jorenby J. Lentz J. Hoss J. Pickard G. Jamison F. Mathis T. Willson B. Optimization of a Direct-Injected 2-Stroke Cycle Snowmobile SAE Paper No. 2003-32-0074
- Cartwright A. Computer Simulation of High Performance, Reed Valve Induction, Two-Stroke Cycle Engines Queen's University Belfast 1996
- McEntee P.T. Modeling and Evaluation of a High Performance Two-Stroke Engine under Dynamic Operating Conditions Queen's University Belfast 1999
- Blair G.P. Mackey D.O. Ashe M.C. Chatfield G.F. Exhaust Tuning on a Four-Stroke Engine; Experimentation and Simulation SAE Paper No. 2001-01-1797
- Boretti A.A. Cantore G. Mattarelli E. Preziosi F. Experimental and Computational Analysis of a High Performance Motorcycle Engine SAE Paper No. 962526
- Callahan B.J. Kee R.J. McCartan C.D. Fleck R. Kenny R.G. Mackey D.O. Simulation of Dynamic Operation of a Single-Cylinder Two-Stroke Engine SAE Paper No. 2002-32-1782
- Callahan B.J. Kee R.J. McCartan C.D. Fleck R. Kenny R.G. Mackey D.O. Drivetrain Effects on Small Engine Performance SAE Paper No. 2003-32-0067
- Virtual 2-Stroke OPTIMUM Power Technology Bridgeville, PA, USA www.optimum-power.com
- Douglas R. AFR and Emissions Calculations for Two-Stroke Cycle Emissions SAE Paper No. 901599
- GP Control OPTIMUM Power Technology Bridgeville, PA, USA www.optimum-power.com
- PTrAc OPTIMUM Power Technology Bridgeville, PA, USA www.optimum-power.com
- PTrAn OPTIMUM Power Technology Bridgeville, PA, USA www.optimum-power.com
- Fleck B.J. Fleck R. Kee R.J. Thornhill D.J. The Evaluation of Discharge Coefficients in the Cylinders of High Performance Two-Stroke Engines SAE Paper No. 2003-32-0029
- Sweeney M.E.G. Kenny R.G. Swann G.B.G. Blair G.P. Single Cycle Gas Testing Method for Two-Stroke Engine Scavenging SAE Paper No. 850178