This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Racing Car Wheel Aerodynamics – Comparisons between Experimental and CFD Derived Flow-Field Data
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 30, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Detailed flow-field data have been acquired using experimental and computational techniques in the wake of a 40% full-scale exposed wheel. The experimental investigation focused on taking discrete single-point measurements in the wake using a pneumatic 5-hole pressure probe. A wake integral method was used to compute the total drag force acting on the wheel.
The computational aspects of the investigation used the commercially available Fluent 6.0 CFD package. A tetrahedral volume mesh was used to discretise the flow domain and the k-ε turbulence model was used for all calculations. The boundary conditions were set according to the experiment.
As the tire rotates the work done on its surface shear layer leads to increased velocities and compression immediately ahead of the contact patch which results in pressure coefficients in excess of unity. This leads to an outflow from this high pressure zone; an effect that is known as jetting. The reverse effect occurs behind the contact patch. The front and rear jetting phenomena were successfully predicted using the computational model, which corroborated well with other experimental data obtained by the authors.
CitationMears, A. and Dominy, R., "Racing Car Wheel Aerodynamics – Comparisons between Experimental and CFD Derived Flow-Field Data," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3555, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-3555.
- Mears, A. P. The Aerodynamic Characteristics of an Exposed Racing Car Wheel University of Durham
- Axon, L. The Aerodynamic Characteristics of Automobile Wheels - CFD Prediction and Wind Tunnel Experiment Cranfield University: College of Aeronautics 1999
- Axon, L. Garry, K. Howell, J. An Evaluation of CFD for Modelling the Flow Around Stationary and Rotating Isolated Wheels SAE 980032 1998 65 75
- Axon, L. Garry, K. Howell, J. The Influence of Ground Condition on the Flow Around a Wheel Located within a Wheelhouse Cavity SAE 1999-01-0806 1999 149 158
- Dominy, R. G. Aerodynamics of Grand Prix Cars Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs 1992 206D 267 274
- Fackrell, J. E. The Aerodynamics of an Isolated Wheel Rotating in Contact with the Ground University of London 1974
- Fackrell, J. E. Harvey, J. K. The Flow Field and Pressure Distribution of an Isolated Road Wheel Stephens, H. S. Advances in Road Vehicle Aerodynamics BHRA Fluid Engineering 1973
- Fackrell, J. E. Harvey, J. K. The Aerodynamics of an Isolated Road Wheel Pershing, B. Proceedings of the Second AIAA Symposium of Aerodynamics of Sports and Competition Automobiles 1975
- Hinson, M. Measurement of the Lift Produced by an Isolated, Rotating Formula One Wheel Using a New Pressure Measurement System Cranfield University: College of Aeronautics 1999
- Kellar, W. P. Pearse, S. R. G. Savill, A. M. Formula 1 Car Wheel Aerodynamics Sports Engineering 1999 2 203 212
- Knowles, R. Saddington, A. Knowles, K. Simulation and Experiments on an Isolated Racecar Wheel Rotating in Ground Contact 4 th MIRA International Vehicle Aerodynamics Conference 2002
- Knowles, R. Saddington, A. Knowles, K. On the Near-Wake of Rotating, 40%-Scale Champ Car Wheels SAE 02MSEC-27
- Mears, A. P. Dominy, R. G. Sims-Williams, D. B. The Air Flow About an Exposed Racing Wheel SAE 2002-01-3290 2002
- Mears, A. P. Dominy, R. G. Sims-Williams, D. B. The Flow About an Isolated Rotating Wheel - Effects of Yaw on Lift, Drag and Flow Structure 4 th MIRA International Vehicle Aerodynamics Conference 2002
- Mears, A. P. Crossland, S. C. Dominy, R. G. An Investigation into the Flow-Field About an Exposed Racing Wheel SAE 2004-01-0446
- Morelli, A. Aerodynamic Effects on an Automobile Wheel MIRA 1969
- Skea, A. F. Bullen, P. R. Qiao, J. The use of CFD to Predict Air Flow Around a Rotating Wheel 2 nd MIRA International Conference on Vehicle Aerodynamics 1998
- Stapleford, W. R. Carr, G. W. Aerodynamic Characteristics of Exposed Rotating Wheels MIRA 1970
- Hooper, J. D. Musgrove, A. R. Reynolds Stress, Mean Velocity and Dynamic Static Pressure Measurement by a Four-Hole Pressure Probe Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 15 375 383 1997
- Dominy, R. G. Hodson, H. P. An Investigation of Factors Influencing the Calibration of 5-Hole Probes for 3-D Flow Measurements ASME International Gas Turbine and Aeroengine Congress and Exposition Cologne, Germany 1992
- Ryan, A. The Simulation of Transient Cross-Wind Gusts and Their Aerodynamic Influence on Passenger Cars University of Durham 2000
- Wäschle, A. Cyr, S. Kuthada, T. Wiedemann, J. Flow Around an Isolated Wheel - Experimental and Numerical Comparison of Two CFD Codes SAE 2004-01-0445 2004
- Fluent Inc. Fluent 6.0 User's Manual 2003
- Middendorf, J. CFD Modeling of Wind Tunnel Flow over a Rotating Cylinder 2003