This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Using K&C Measurements for Practical Suspension Tuning and Development
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 30, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In recent decades suspension kinematics and compliance (K&C) testing has become a support-testing standard in the vehicle industry, providing invaluable data for suspension design and vehicle dynamics simulations. But in practical ride and handling tuning/development work, many readily available K&C test measurements have yet to achieve the empirical significance of traditional derived parameters such as roll center heights and roll stiffness distributions. In an attempt to emphasize the practical usefulness of K&C test data, this paper presents several methods by which this data can directly assist with chassis tuning and development. Traditional K&C data interpretation methods are discussed and new concepts such as “yaw efficiency” are developed and presented.
CitationMorse, P., "Using K&C Measurements for Practical Suspension Tuning and Development," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3547, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-3547.
- Van Gorder, Keith et al “Vehicle Dynamics Fingerprint Process,” SAE paper no. 1999-01-0117
- Rao, Prashant S. et al “Developing an ADAMS Model of an Automobile Using Test Data,” SAE paper no. 2002-01-1567
- Best, Tony Neads, Steve J. “Design and Operation of a New Vehicle Suspension Kinematics and Compliance Facility,” SAE paper no. 970096
- Gillespie, Thomas D. Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics , SAE Publications Group Warrendale, PA 1992
- Milliken, William F. Milliken, Douglas L. Race Car Vehicle Dynamics SAE Publications Group Warrendale, PA 1995
- Starkey, J.M. “The Effects of Vehicle Design Parameters on Handling Frequency Response Characteristics,” Int. J. of Vehicle Design 14 5 6 497 510 1993
- Staniforth, Allen Competition Car Suspension: Design, Construction, and Tuning J.H. Haynes & Co. Ltd. Sparkford, England 1988
- Bolles, Bob Stock Car Setup Secrets Berkley Publishing Group New York, NY 2003