This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Aerodynamic Characteristics of a WRC Rally Car at High Slip Angles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 30, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Rally cars are frequently operated at high speeds on loose road surfaces and significant slip angles are achieved when cornering. A wind tunnel test procedure is presented which allows those slip angles to be accommodated whilst maintaining contact between the tires and the wind tunnel's moving ground plane. It is shown that as the slip angle is increased both the drag and lift increase whilst the centre of pressure moves rearwards. Simulations are presented which evaluate the effect of those aerodynamic changes upon the overall performance of the car over a rally stage.
CitationDominy, R. and Richardson, S., "The Aerodynamic Characteristics of a WRC Rally Car at High Slip Angles," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3508, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-3508.
- Katz, J. Race Car Aerodynamics Robert Bentley Publishers 0-8376-0142-8 1995
- Federation Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) 2004 World Rally Championship Regulations FIA Paris 2004
- Dominy, J.A. Dominy, R.G. Aerodynamic Influences on the Performance of the Grand Prix Racing Car Proc. IMechE Part D 198 1984
- Dominy, R.G. Ryan, A. Sims-Williams, D.B. The Influence of Slipstreaming on Sports Prototype Race Car Performance Proc. IMechE Part D 214 887 894 2000
- Docton, M.K.R The Simulation of Transient Crosswinds on Passenger Vehicles University of Durham 1997
- Sims-Williams, D.B. Self-Excited Aerodynamic Unsteadiness Associated with Passenger Cars University of Durham 2001
- Sims-Williams, D.B. Dominy, R.G. The Design of an Open-Jet Wind Tunnel for Model Testing SAE paper 2002-01-3340 2002
- COSMOSFloWorks Manuals Structural Research and Analysis Corp USA 2004
- Sieger, B. Deakin, A. Crolla, D. Lap Time Simulation: Comparison of Steady State, Quasi-Static and Transient Racing Car Cornering Strategies SAE Paper 2000-01-3563 2000
- Dominy, R.G. Sports Prototype Race Car Optimization SAE Paper 2002-01-3286 2002
- Dominy, R.G. Hodson, H.P. An investigation of factors influencing the calibration of 5-hole probes for 3-D flow measurements ASME Journal of Turbomachinery 115 513 518 1993
- Ahmed, S Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles Cambridge University Press 0-408-01422-9 1987
- SAE Standards Committee “Open Jet Wind Tunnel Adjustments” Aerodynamic Testing of Road Vehicles in Open Jet Wind Tunnels SAE 1999