This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Leveraging Global Sourcing Strategies through Logistics Operations: The International Engines South America Experience
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 16, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper identifies and discuss how a set of logistics and Supply Chain business process have been allowing International Engines South America to achieve successful results in its export projects. Initially, a briefly literature review presents some common business practices applied on International Logistics operations and in the Automotive Industry. A discussion about Supply Chain and Global Sourcing strategies are presented as well. Second part of this paper shows how International Engines deployed customer requirements for two different projects - the export operation of a Diesel Engines for 4 different plants in US applying Postponement strategy and VMI replenishment model to deliver more than one hundred configurations line set sequenced and the export operation of Diesel Engines Cylinder Heads applying also VMI and returnable packaging in the line hauling from Brazil to US. The paper concludes stating a list business practices breaking down in categories that have allowed International Engines South America to provide cost effectiveness and responsiveness for their offshore customers and explore the complementary relation that some of these business practices have with each other.
CitationPanitz, C., "Leveraging Global Sourcing Strategies through Logistics Operations: The International Engines South America Experience," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3466, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-3466.
- CROOM, Simon ROMANO, Pietro GIANNAKIS, Mihalis Supply chain management: an analytical framework for critical literature review European Journal of Purchasing & Supply Management #6 2000 67 83
- DAGANZO, Carlos F. Logisitcs Systems Analysis Springer-Verlag New York 1991
- DORNIER, Philippe P. et. Al. Logística e Operações Globais Editora Atlas São Paulo 2000
- FINE, Charles H. Clockspeed-based Strategies for Supply Chain Design Production and Operations management 3 2000
- GARETH, P. Jenkins Wright DEREK S. Managing Inflexible Supply Chains The International Journal of Logistics Management 9 2 83 90 1998
- Mercantil Gazeta Exportação de autopeças ameaça as montadoras 23 Junho 2004
- HOPP, W. J. SPEARMAN, M. L. Factory Physics Second Irwin McGrawHill Boston, MA 2001
- LAMBERT, D. STOCK, J. ELLRAM, L. Fundamentals of Logistics Management McGrawHill - Irwin Boston - MA 1998
- LAMBERT, Douglas M. COOPER, Martha C. Issues in Supply Chain Management Industrial Marketing Management 29 65 83 2000 2000 Elsevier Science Inc. 655 Avenue of the Americas New York, NY 10010
- LEVY, David L. Lean Production in an International Supply Chain Sloan Management Review Winter 1997
- PANITZ, Carlos E. Como atender Built-To-Order a 10.000 km do cliente Revista LOG&MAN São Paulo Novembro 2002
- PANITZ, Carlos E. Delivering Engines Just-In-Time sequenced from 10.000 km away Congresso SAE Brasil 2003 São Paulo Novembro 2003
- SMÅROS, J. LEHTONEN, Juha-Matti APPELQVIST, P. HOLMSTRÖM, J. The impact of increasing demand visibility on production and inventory control efficiency International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics Management 33 4 2003 336 354
- SCHIMI-LEVY, David et. Al. Tactical Planning for Reinventing the Supply Chain Massachusets Institute of Technology Cambridge, MA April 2002
- Valor Econômico Aço: produção interna sobe e crise continua 20 Maio 2004
- WIGHT, Oliver W. Manufacturing Resources Planning - MRP II Oliver Wight™ Limited Publications, Inc. New York, NY 1984
- WISNER, Joel D. TAN, Keah Choon Supply Chain Management and its impact on purchasing Journal of Supply Chain Management Tempe, Fall 2000 36 4 33 42