This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Calculation of Structures under Compliance and Natural Frequency Constraints using Topology Optimization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 16, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This work presents a structural design methodology aided by topology optimization. The chosen objective is the material volume reduction, under compliance and natural frequency constraints.
The mechanical behavior of the structure is simulated by the finite element method. Both linear static and eigenvectors (frequencies and modes) analyses are performed.
The optimization solution is reached using sequential linear programming and optimality criteria algorithms. In all cases, sensitivity analyses of the objective function and constraints are calculated analytically.
Finally, some test cases of volume minimization with compliance and natural frequency constraints are shown, among them an automotive electrical transformer bracket design.
CitationMosmann, R. and Fonseca, J., "Calculation of Structures under Compliance and Natural Frequency Constraints using Topology Optimization," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3409, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-3409.
- Bathe, K. J. “Finite element procedures” Prentice Hall Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey 1996
- Bendsøe, M. P. “Optimization of a Topology, Shape, and Material” Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelgerg 1995
- Cardoso, E. L. “Complexity Control in the Topology Optimization of Continuum Structures” UFRGS 2000
- Diaz, A. Sigmund, O. “Checkerboard Patterns in Layout Optimization” Structural Optimization 10 40 45 1995
- Fonseca, J. S. O. “Design of Microstructures of Periodic Composite Materials” The University of Michigan 1997
- Haftka, R. Gürdal, Z. “Elements of Structural Optimization” Kluwel Academic Publishers 3a 1992
- Jog, C. Haber, R. “Stability of Finite Element Models for Distributed-Parameter Optimization and Topology Design” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 130 203 226 1996
- Kirsch, U. “Optimal Topologies of Structures” Appl. Mech., Rev. 42 o 8 223 238 1989
- Mosmann, R. M. “Topology Optimization of Continuum Structures Under Compliance, Volume and Natural Frequency Constraints” UFRGS 2003
- Rockafellar, R. T. “Convex Analysis” Princeton Landmarks in Mathematics New Jersey 1997
- Salagame, R. R. Belegundu, A. D. “Shape Optimization with p-Adaptive” American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Journal 33 12 2309 2405 1995
- Sigmund, .O. “Design of Material Structures using Topology Optimization” Department of Solid Mechanics, Technical University of Denmark 1994
- Sigmund, O. Petersson, J. “Numerical Instabilities in Topology Optimization: A Survey on Procedures Dealing with Checkerboards, Mesh-dependencies and Local Minima” Structural Optimization 16 68 75 1998