This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Brake Squeal Noise using FEM Part II: Effect of Operating Parameters and Control Methods
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 16, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Brake squeal noise has been under investigation by the automotive manufacturers for decades due to consistent customer complaints and high warranty costs. In most cases, the customer perceives the noise as a vehicle problem and demand having it fix by their dealer. J. D. Power surveys consistently show brake noise as one of the most critical vehicle quality measurements. Furthermore, the development of methods to predict the noise occurrence during the design of a brake system has been the target of many researchers in the last years. The complex eigenvalue analysis has been widely used to detect unstable frequencies in brake systems models. The method is fast and useful to provide design guidance, since operating parameters and control methods can be evaluated by a simulation procedure. This paper summarizes the application of the complex eigenvalue analysis in a finite element model of a commercial brake system. The effect of the operating parameters (friction coefficient, braking pressure, brake temperature) and wear on the dynamic stability of the brake system is examined. After identifying unstable frequencies and the behavior of the brake system under different conditions, the performance of some control methods are tested. Changes in material properties and the application of brake noise insulators are presented and its effect discussed.
CitationTrichês, M., Gerges, S., da Silveira Lima, I., and Santos, M., "Analysis of Brake Squeal Noise using FEM Part II: Effect of Operating Parameters and Control Methods," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3331, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-3331.
- Dunlap, K. B., Riehle, M. A., Longhouse, R. E., “An Investigative Overview of Automotive Disc Brake Noise”, SAE Paper 1999-01-0142.
- Kung, S.-W., Dunlap, K. B., Ballinger, R. S., “Complex eigenvalue analysis for reducing low frequency brake squeal”, Technical Report 2000-01-0444, SAE, Warrendale, PA, 2000.
- Liles, G. D., “Analysis of disc brake squeal using finite element methods”, Technical Report 891150, SAE, Warrendale, PA, SAE, 1989.
- Chen, F., Chern, J., Swayze, J., “Modal Coupling and Its Effect on Brake Squeal”, SAE Paper 2002-01-0922.
- Triches, M. J., Gerges, S. N. Y., Jordan, R., Cordioli, J. A., “Application of Constrained Layer Material on the reduction of Disc Brake Noise”, Internoise 2002, Dearborn, MI.
- Mignery, L., Wang, J., Luo, J., “Prediction of Damper Effects in a Brake System Model”, SAE Paper 2001-01-3140.
- Papinniemi, A., Lai, J. C. S., Zhao, J. and Loader, L., “Brake Squeal: a literature review,” Applied Acoustics, 63, 391-400 (2002).
- Nishiwaki, M., Harada, H., Okamura, H., Ikeuchi, T., Study on disc brake squeal, Technical Report 890864, SAE Paper, Warrendale, PA, 1989.
- Matsuzaki, M., Izumihara, T., Brake noise caused by longitudinal vibration of the disc rotor, Technical Report 930804, SAE, Warrendale, PA, 1993.
- Brencht, J., Elvenkemper, A., Betten, J., Navrath, U., Multhoff, J. B., “Elastic Properties of Friction Materials”, SAE Paper 2003-01-3333, 2003.
- Nack, W. V., Brake squeal analysis by finite elements, Technical Report 1999-01-1736, SAE, Warrendale, PA, 1999.
- Nack, W. V., Brake squeal analysis by finite elements, International Journal of Vehicle Design 23 (3-4) (2000), 263-275.
- Kung, S.-W., Dunlap, K. B., Ballinger, R. S., Complex eigenvalue analysis for reducing low frequency brake squeal, Technical Report 2000-01-0444, SAE, Warrendale, PA, 2000.
- Blaschke, P., Tan, M., Wang, A., On the analysis of brake squeal propensity using finite elements, Technical Report 2000-01-2765, SAE, Warrendale, PA, 2000.
- Moirot, F., Nehme, A., Ngyuen, Q. S., Numerical simulation to detect low-frequency squeal propensity, Technical Report 2000-01-2767, SAE, Warrendale, PA, 2000.
- Ouyang, H., Mottershead, J. E., Brookfield, D. J., James, S., Cartmell, M. P., A methodology for the determination of dynamic instabilities in a car disc brake, International Journal of Vehicle Design 23 (3/4) (2000) 241-262.
- Ouyang, H., Mottershead, J. E., Brookfield, D. J., James, S., Cartmell, M. P., Kaster, T., Treyde, T., Hirst, B., Allen, R., Dynamic instabilities in a simple model of a car disc brake, Technical Report 1999-01-3409, SAE, Warrendale, PA, 1999.
- Ripin, Z. B. M., “Analysis of Disc Brake Squeal Using the Finite Element Method”, PhD. Thesis, University of Leeds, Leeds, United Kingdom, 1995.
- Gerges, S. N. Y., “Ruído: Fundamentos e Controle”, 2a Edição, 2000, NR Editora. In portuguese.