This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Device for Transient Measurement of Ultralow Soot Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 16, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Future legislation, like EURO IV and EURO V or the US 2007 HD regulation will have massive reduction of particulate emission limits. For this beside improvement of engine combustion also exhaust aftertreatment systems are under investigation, like Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF), or Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) of Nitrogen Oxides. For all those tasks transient soot emission monitoring is one of the key features.
To meet this demand a new device for the on-line measurement of soot emitted by combustion engines has been developed. Based on the photoacoustic principle, which has been optimized for automotive applications and easy use in test cells, the instrument shows a sensitivity of 5μg/m3, which is lower than current particulate immission standards in ambient air, and a time resolution of 1 sec.
In the paper first the principles of measurement are shown, and then the specifications and results from measurements of very low soot concentration in the exhaust gas are presented.
CitationLinke, M., Schindler, W., and de Almeida, W., "A New Device for Transient Measurement of Ultralow Soot Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3267, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-3267.
- Christian, R. Knopf, F. Jaschek, A Schindler, W. MTZ 54 1993 1 16
- Schindler, W. Nöst, M. Thaller, W. Luxbacher, Th. MTZ 62 2001 10 808
- Pongratz, H. Schindler, W. Singer, W. Striock, St. Thaller, W. MTZ 64 2003 10 824
- Krempl, P. Schindler, W. Schiefer E. SAE Technical Paper Series No 850269
- Directive 2001/1/EC of the European Parlament and of the Counsil Jan 22 2001
- Directive 1999/96/EC of the European Parlament and of the Counsil Dec. 13 1999
- CFR 66 12 Jan 18 2001
- Beck, H. A. Niessner, R. Haisch, Ch. Anal. Bioanal Chem 375 2003 1136
- Bell, G.A. Amer. J. Science 20 1880 305
- Rosencwaig, A. Gersho, A. Theory of the photoacoustic effect in solids J. Appl. Phys. 47 64 69 1976
- Faxvog, F. R. Roessler, D. M. J. Appl. Phys. 50 12 1979 7880
- Japar, St. M. Szkarlat, A. C. Combustion Science and Technology 24 1981 215
- Cartellieri, W. Tritthart, P. SAE Technical Paper Series No. 840418
- Krämer, L. Bozoki, Z. Niessner, R. Anal. Sci 17 S 2001 563
- 1999 1999
- Report of the GRPE Particulate Measuring Program (PMP) July 2003
- Jacob, E. D'Alfonso, N. Doering, A. Reisch, S. Rothe, D. Brueck, R. Treiber, P. 23. Internationales Wiener Motorensymposium 2 196 VDI-Verlag