This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vibration Testing and Modal Analysis of Airplanes – Recent Advances
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 2, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper will introduce some recent advances in vibration testing and modal analysis of airplanes. Recently, a very promising parameter estimation method became available, that has the potential to become the new standard. The main advantage of this so-called PolyMAX method is that it yields extremely clear stabilization diagrams even for broadband and high-order analyses. The method will be applied to two aircraft cases: a Ground Vibration Test using broadband shaker excitation on a small composite aircraft and in-flight data using natural turbulences as excitation. These two data sets allow illustrating both the classical Frequency Response Function based as well as the operational output-only modal analysis process.
CitationPeeters, B., Vecchio, A., Olbrechts, T., Van der Auweraer, H. et al., "Vibration Testing and Modal Analysis of Airplanes – Recent Advances," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-3140, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-3140.
- KEHOE M.W., A historical overview of flight flutter testing. NASA TM-4720, www.dfrc.nasa.gov/DTRS, 1995.
- PICKREL C.R. AND WHITE P.J., Flight flutter testing of transport aircraft: in-flight modal analysis. In Proceedings of IMAC 21, the International Modal Analysis Conference, Kissimmee (FL), USA, 2003.
- GUILLAUME P., VERBOVEN P., AND VANLANDUIT S., Frequency-domain maximum likelihood identification of modal parameters with confidence intervals. In Proceedings of ISMA 23, Noise and Vibration Engineering, K.U. Leuven, Belgium, 1998.
- VAN DER AUWERAER H., GUILLAUME P., VERBOVEN P. AND VANLANDUIT S., Application of a fast-stabilizing frequency domain parameter estimation method. ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement, and Control, 123(4), 651-658, 2001.
- HEYLEN W., LAMMENS S., AND SAS P., Modal Analysis Theory and Testing. K.U. Leuven, Belgium, 1997.
- GUILLAUME P., VERBOVEN P., VANLANDUIT S., VAN DER AUWERAER H. AND PEETERS B., A poly-reference implementation of the least-squares complex frequency-domain estimator. In Proceedings of IMAC 21, the International Modal Analysis Conference, Kissimmee (FL), USA, February 2003.
- LEMBREGTS F., LEURIDAN J., ZHANG L. AND KANDA H., Multiple input modal analysis of frequency response functions based direct parameter identification. In Proceedings of IMAC 4, the International Modal Analysis Conference, 589-598, Los Angeles (CA), USA, 1986.
- LMS INTERNATIONAL, The LMS Theory and Background Book. Leuven, Belgium, www.lmsintl.com, 2000.
- PEETERS B., GUILLAUME P., VAN DER AUWERAER H., CAUBERGHE B., VERBOVEN P., AND LEURIDAN J., Automotive and aerospace applications of the PolyMAX modal parameter estimation method. In Proceedings of IMAC 22, the International Modal Analysis Conference, Dearborn (MI), USA, 26-29 January 2004.
- VAN DER AUWERAER H. AND PEETERS B., Discriminating physical poles from mathematical poles in high order systems: use and automation of the stabilization diagram. In Proceedings of IMTC 2004, the IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference, Como, Italy, 18-20 May 2004.
- LAMBERT AIRCRAFT ENGINEERING, Mission M212 Series of Light Aircraft for Personal Transportation. www.lambert-aircraft.com, Kortrijk, Belgium, 2004.
- BROWN D.L., ALLEMANG R.J., ZIMMERMAN R. AND MERGEAY M., Parameter estimation techniques for modal analysis. Society of Automotive Engineers, Paper No. 790221, 1979.
- PEETERS B., VECCHIO A., AND VAN DER AUWERAER H., PolyMAX modal parameter estimation from operational data. In Proceedings of the ISMA 2004 International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering, Leuven, Belgium, September 2004.
- HERMANS L., VAN DER AUWERAER H., AND GUILLAUME P., A frequency-domain maximum likelihood approach for the extraction of modal parameters from output-only data, In Proceedings of ISMA23, the International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering, 367-376, Leuven, Belgium, 16-18 September 1998.
- HERMANS L. AND VAN DER AUWERAER H., Modal testing and analysis of structures under operational conditions: industrial applications, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 13(2), 193-216, 1999.
- PEETERS B., System identification and damage detection in civil engineering, PhD thesis, Department of Civil Engineering, K.U. Leuven, Belgium, www.bwk.kuleuven.ac.be/bwm, 2000.
- OPPENHEIM A.V. AND SCHAFER R.W., Digital Signal Processing, Prentice-Hall, 1975.
- CAUBERGHE B., Applied frequency-domain system identification in the field of experimental and operational modal analysis, PhD thesis, Department of Mechanical Engineering, V.U. Brussel, Belgium, http://avrg.vub.ac.be, 2004.
- PARLOO E., Application of frequency-domain system identification techniques in the field of operational modal analysis, PhD thesis, Department of Mechanical Engineering, V.U. Brussel, Belgium, http://avrg.vub.ac.be, 2003.
- LANSLOTS J., RODIERS B., AND PEETERS B., Automated pole-selection: proof-of-concept & validation. In Proceedings of ISMA 2004, the International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering, Leuven, Belgium, 20-22 September 2004.
- LMS INTERNATIONAL, LMS Test.Lab - Modal Analysis and Operational Modal Analysis Rev 5A. Leuven, Belgium, www.lmsintl.com, 2004.