This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Study on HCCI Combustion of Dimethyl Ether(DME)/Methanol Dual Fuel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) is considered as a high efficient and clean combustion technology for I.C. engines. Methanol is a potential fuel for HCCI combustion. In this research, a single cylinder diesel engine was applied to HCCI operation. Methanol and dimethyl ether (DME) were fueled to the engine by fuel injection system with an electric controlled port in dual fuel mode.
The results show that the stable HCCI operation of DME/methanol can be obtained over a quite broad speed and load region. And compared with higher speeds, the load region is even wider at low engine speed. E.g., at the engine speed of 1000 r/min, the maximum indicated mean effective pressure(IMEP) can reach 0.77 MPa, while at 2000r/min it is 0.53 MPa. Both DME and methanol influence HCCI combustion strongly, and by regulating DME/methanol proportions the HCCI combustion process could be controlled effectively. The emission tests indicate that NOx emissions are overall very low under normal HCCI operation, while HC and CO emissions are much higher than that in conventional CI-engines. An appropriate optimal HCCI operation can be obtained by controlling the DME and methanol supply according to operating condition.
- Zunqing Zheng - State Key Laboratory of Engine Combustion, Tianjin University
- Mingfa Yao - State Key Laboratory of Engine Combustion, Tianjin University
- Zheng Chen - State Key Laboratory of Engine Combustion, Tianjin University
- Bo Zhang - State Key Laboratory of Engine Combustion, Tianjin University
CitationZheng, Z., Yao, M., Chen, Z., and Zhang, B., "Experimental Study on HCCI Combustion of Dimethyl Ether(DME)/Methanol Dual Fuel," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2993, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2993.
- Stanglmaier, R.H., Roberts, C.E., “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI): Benefits, Compromises, and Future Engine Applications”, SAE Paper 1999-01-3682.
- Allen Jeff, Law Don, “Variable Valve Actuated Controlled Auto-Ignition: Speed Load Maps and Strategic Regimes of Operation”, SAE Paper 2002-01-0422.
- Christensen M., Hultqvist, A. et al, “Demonstrating the Multi Fuel Capability of a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine with Variable Compression Ratio”, SAE Paper 1999-01-3679
- Olsson Jan-Ola, Tunestal Per, Ulfvik Jonas et al, “The effect of cooled EGR on emissions and Performance of a turbocharged HCCI engine”, SAE Paper 2003-01-0743.
- Peng Zhijun, Zhao Hua, et al, “Effect of Air/Fuel Ratios and EGR Rates on HCCI Combustion of n-heptane, a Diesel Type Fuel”, SAE Paper 2003-01-0747.
- Chen Rui, Milovanovic Nebojsa, et al, “The Thermal Effect of Internal Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Controlled Auto Ignition”, SAE Paper 2003-01-0751.
- Wanhua SU, Lin Tiejian and Pei Yiqiang, “A compound technology for HCCI combustion in a DI diesel engine based on the Multi-Pulse injection and the BUMP combustion chamber”, SAE Paper 2003-01-0741.
- Yuki, I. Tadashi, T. et al, “Fuel Consumption Improvement and Operation Range Expansion in HCCI by Water Injection.” SAE Paper 2002-01-0105.
- Ogawa, H., Miyamoto, N.,et al, N., “Combustion Control and Operating Range Expansion with Direct Injection of Reaction Suppressors in a Premixed DME HCCl Engine”, SAE Paper 2003-01-0746.
- Christensen M., Johansson, B., et al, “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Using Iso-octane, Ethanol and Natural Gas - A Comparison with Spark Ignition Operation”, SAE Paper 972874, 1997.
- Flowers Daniel, Aceves Salvador M., “Operation of a Four-Cylinder 1.9 L Propane Fueled Homogeneous Charge Compression gnition Engine”, SAE Paper 2001-01-1895.
- Aceves Salvador M., Smith J.R., et al “Compression Ratio Effect on Methane HCCI Combustion”, ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 121, pp. 569-574, 1999.
- shudoT., OnoY., et al, “Ignition Control by DME DME-Reformed Gas in HCCI Combustion of DME”, SAE Paper 2003-01-1824.
- Chen Zhili, Konno Mitsuru, et al, “Experimental Study of CI Natural-Gas/DME Homogeneous Charge Engine”, SAE Paper 2000-01-0329.
- Green Chris J., Cockshutt Neal A. et al, “Dimethyl Ether as a methanol ignition improver: substitution requirements and exhaust emissions impact”, SAE Paper 902155, 1990
- Murayama Tadashi, Chikahisa Takemi et al, “A study of a compression ignition methanol engine with Converted Dimethyl Ether as an ignition improver”. SAE Paper 922212.
- Zun-qing Zheng, Ming-fa Yao, Yang Wang, et al, “Experimental study of HCCI combustion process fueled with DME”, Journal of Combustion Science and Technology, Vol.9 No.6, pp561-565,2003.
- Heywood, J.B., Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, McGraw-Hill, 1988.
- Yao Mingfa, Zheng Zunqing, et al, “The effect of PRF Fuel on HCCI Operation”, SAE Paper 2004-01-2992.