This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Injection Pressure and Engine Speed on Air/Fuel Mixing and Emissions in a Pre-Mixed Compression Ignited (PCI) Engine Using Diesel Fuel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
PCI combustion of diesel fuel was accomplished in a direct-injected heavy-duty single-cylinder research engine. An impinging spray nozzle combined with a shallow bowl piston design offered a short air/fuel mixing time. Low HC and CO emissions were observed compared to fully premixed operation using n-heptane. A method for evaluating the air/fuel mixing process has been established by quantifying the in-cylinder air/fuel heterogeneity with the NOx emission. The results indicate that high injection pressure and engine speed are favorable for a fast mixing process. The injection pressure had a small impact on HC and CO emissions, while the engine speed had a larger impact. There were no correlation between air/fuel mixing time and HC and CO emissions.
CitationWåhlin, F., Cronhjort, A., Olofsson, U., and Ångström, H., "Effect of Injection Pressure and Engine Speed on Air/Fuel Mixing and Emissions in a Pre-Mixed Compression Ignited (PCI) Engine Using Diesel Fuel," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2989, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2989.
- Richter M. et al., “The influence of charge inhomogeneity on the HCCI combustion process” SAE paper No. 2000-01-2868.
- Sjöberg M. et al. “GDI HCCI: Effects injection timing and air swirl on fuel stratification, combustion and emissions formation”, SAE Paper No. 2002-01-0106.
- Marriott C. D. and Reitz R. D. “Experimental investigation of direct injection-gasoline for premixed compression ignited combustion phasing control” SAE Paper No. 2002-01-0418.
- Marriott C. D. et al. “Investigation of hydrocarbon emissions from a direct injection-gasoline premixed charge compression ignited engine” SAE Paper No. 2002-01-0419.
- Dec, J. E. and Sjöberg, M., “A parametric study of HCCI combustion - the sources of emission at low loads and the effects of GDI fuel injection”, SAE Paper 2003-01-0752.
- Sun Y. et al. “Numerical simulation of mixture formation and combustion of gasoline engines with multi-stage direct injection compression ignition (DICI)” SAE Paper No. 2003-01-1091.
- Dec, J. E. and Sjöberg, M., “Isolating the effects of fuel chemistry on combustion phasing in an HCCI engine and the potential of fuel stratification for ignition control”, SAE Paper 2004-01-0557.
- Gray A. W. and Ryan T. W. “Homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) of diesel fuel”, SAE Paper No. 971676.
- Kaneko et al. “Expansion of the operating range with in-cylinder water injection in a pre-mixed charge compression ignition engine”, SAE paper No. 2002-01-1743.
- Christensen M. et al. “Demonstrating the multi fuel capability of a homogeneous charge compression ignition engine with variable compression ratio”, SAE paper No. 1999-01-3679.
- Takeda Y. et al. “Emission characteristics of premixed lean diesel combustion with extremely early staged fuel injection”, SAE Paper No. 961163.
- Suzuki H. et al. “Exhaust purification of diesel engines by homogeneous charge with compression ignition part 1: Experimental investigation of combustion and exhaust emission behavior under pre-mixed homogeneous charge compression ignition method”, SAE Paper No. 970313.
- Nakagome K. et al. “Combustion and emission characteristics of premixed lean diesel combustion engine”, SAE Paper No. 970898.
- Hashizume T. et al. “Combustion and emission characteristics of multiple stage diesel combustion”, SAE Paper No. 980505.
- Harada A. et al. “The effects of mixture formation on premixed lean diesel combustion”, SAE Paper No. 980533.
- Akagawa H. et al. “Approaches to solve problems of the premixed lean diesel combustion”, SAE Paper No. 1999-01-0183.
- Iwabuchi Y. et al. “Trial of New Concept Diesel Combustion System - Premixed Compression-Ignited Combustion” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-0185.
- Yamamoto H. and Niimura K. “Characteristics of fuel sprays from specially shaped and impinging flow nozzles”, SAE Paper No. 950082.
- Wåhlin F. and Cronhjort A., “Fuel sprays for premixed compression ignited combustion - characteristics of impinging sprays”, SAE paper No. 2004-01-1776.
- Nandha K.P. and Abraham J., “Dependence of fuel-air mixing characteristics on injection timing in an early-injection diesel engine”, SAE Paper No. 2002-01-0944.
- Heywood J. B. “Internal combustion engine fundamentals”, McGraw-Hill, 1988.
- Westergren B. and Råde L. “Mathematics Handbook for Science and Engineering”, Studentlitteratur, 1995.
- Box G.E.P. and Draper N.R., “Empirical model-building and response surfaces”, Wiley, New York, 1991.
- Christensen M. et al. “The effect of piston topland geometry on emissions of unburned hydrocarbons from a homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) engine”, SAE Paper No. 2001-01-1893.
- Shimazaki N. et al., “Dual mode combustion concept with premixed diesel combustion by direct Injection near top dead center”, SAE paper No. 2003-01-0742.
- Miyamoto T et al. “A computational investigation of premixed lean diesel combustion”, SAE Paper No. 1999-01-0229.
- Winklhofer E. et al., “Control strategies for HCCI systems via mixture heterogeneity”, SAE NA. paper No. 2003-01-43.
- Tsurushima T. et al. “Effects of in-cylinder flow field on mixture formation in a premixed compression ignition engine”, SAE Paper No. 2000-01-0331.
- Yanagihara H. “A study on combustion structure of premixed compression ignition diesel engines”, THIESEL, 2002.
- Kong S.C. et al. “Numerical modeling of diesel engine combustion and emissions under HCCI-like conditions with high EGR levels”, SAE Paper No. 2003-01-1087.