This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
NVH and Modal Analysis of Thermal-Acoustical Protective Shields
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The exhaust manifold heat shield is made of different material layers and is bolted to the engine exhaust manifold. The exhaust manifold heat shield has been identified as a potential major noise contributor among the engine components during normal operation, which is to protect nearby components from damage due to high heat. To reduce the noise radiated from the exhaust system, a thermal acoustic protective shield (TAPS) has been developed to act as a partial acoustic enclosure. This paper will discuss the importance of controlling NVH and what can be done design-wise to improve the TAPS characteristics.
The paper discusses the impact of damping and vibration, how they are modeled. Further the present study analyzes the radiated sound pressure level (SPL) of a thermal acoustic protective shield by using the finite element analysis (FEA). The analyses are performed using the fully coupled structural-acoustic method and the sequentially coupled structural-acoustic method. A damping material has been incorporated into the core of the multi-layer shield allowing it to dissipate the mechanical energy coming from the exhaust manifold. Results show that the radiated sound level of a shield with a damping layer is noticeably lower than that of an undamped shield.
|Technical Paper||CAE Approach for Thermal-Acoustical Protective Shields - Part 2|
|Technical Paper||CAE Approach for Thermal-Acoustical Protective Shields|
|Technical Paper||Development of Exhaust Manifold Muffler|
- Frank Popielas - VictorReinz - Sealing Products Divison, Dana Corp.
- Y. Charles Lu - VictorReinz - Sealing Products Divison, Dana Corp.
- Murali M. R. Krishna - VictorReinz - Sealing Products Divison, Dana Corp.
- Colin Chen - VictorReinz - Sealing Products Divison, Dana Corp.
- Ernest Oxenknecht - VictorReinz - Sealing Products Divison, Dana Corp.
CitationPopielas, F., Lu, Y., Krishna, M., Chen, C. et al., "NVH and Modal Analysis of Thermal-Acoustical Protective Shields," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2971, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2971.
- CAE Approach for TAPS (part 1) - SAE 2001-01-0684 Boogemans Mark Chen Colin Matias Calin Minkov Marsha Moffatt Ryan Popielas Frank
- CAE Approach for TAPS - Part 2 - SAE 2004-01-0410 Popielas Frank Ramkumar Rohit DiGregorio Anthony Chen Colin Boogemans Mark Rebien Harald
- Forming Analysis of Thermal-Acoustical Protective Shields (TAPS) - SAE 2004-01-0409 Popielas Frank Bastias Pedro Schneider Juergen Rebien Harald Matias Calin Chen Colin