This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optical Diagnostics of HCCI and Low-Temperature Diesel Using Simultaneous 2-D PLIF of OH and Formaldehyde
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Simultaneous OH- and formaldehyde planar-LIF measurements have been performed in an optical engine using two laser sources working on 283 and 355 nm, respectively. The engine used for the measurements was a car Diesel engine converted to single-cylinder operation and modified for optical access. The fuel, n-heptane, was injected by a direct injection common rail system and the engine was also fitted with an EGR system.
The engine was operated in both HCCI mode and Diesel mode. Due to the low load, the Diesel mode resulted in low-temperature Diesel combustion and because of limitations in maximum pressure and maximum rate of pressure increase of the optical engine, the Diesel mode was run at a higher EGR percentage than the HCCI mode to slow down the combustion. A third mode, pilot combustion, was also investigated. This pilot combustion is created by an injection at 30 CAD before TDC followed by a second injection just before TDC.
The OH and formaldehyde LIF images were compared with the heat-release calculated from the pressure-traces. Analyses of the emissions, of for example NOx and HC, were also performed for the different operating modes.
- Leif Hildingsson - Division of Combustion Engines, Lund Institute of Technology
- Håkan Persson - Division of Combustion Engines, Lund Institute of Technology
- Bengt Johansson - Division of Combustion Engines, Lund Institute of Technology
- Robert Collin - Division of Combustion Physics, Lund Institute of Technology
- Jenny Nygren - Division of Combustion Physics, Lund Institute of Technology
- Mattias Richter - Division of Combustion Physics, Lund Institute of Technology
- Marcus Aldén - Division of Combustion Physics, Lund Institute of Technology
- Ryo Hasegawa - Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing Europe S.A.
- Hiromichi Yanagihara - Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing Europe S.A.
CitationHildingsson, L., Persson, H., Johansson, B., Collin, R. et al., "Optical Diagnostics of HCCI and Low-Temperature Diesel Using Simultaneous 2-D PLIF of OH and Formaldehyde," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2949, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2949.
SAE 2004 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V113-4 ; Published: 2005-07-05
Number: V113-4 ; Published: 2005-07-05
- Onishi S., Hong Jo S., Shoda K., Do Jo P. and Kato S.: “Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion (Atac) - A New Combustion Process for Internal Combustion Engines”, SAE 790501.
- Najt P. and Foster D.E., “Compression-Ignited Homogeneous Charge Combustion”, SAE 830464
- Christensen M. and Johansson B.: “Influence of Mixture Quality on Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition”, SAE 982454.
- Olsson J-O., Erlandsson O. and Johansson B.: “Experiments and Simulation of a Six-Cylinder Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engine”, SAE 2000-01-2867.
- Hultqvist A., Christensen M., Johansson B., Franke A., Richter M. and Aldén M.: “A Study of the Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Combustion Process by Chemiluminescence Imaging”, SAE 1999-01-3680.
- Neij H., Johansson B. and Aldén M.: “Development and Demonstration of 2D-LIF for Studies of Mixture Preparation in SI Engines”, Combustion and Flame 99: 449-457 (1994).
- Richter M., Engström J., Franke A., Aldén M., Hultqvist A. and Johansson B.: “The influence of charge inhomogeneity on the HCCI combustion process”, SAE 2000-01-2868
- Collin R., Nygren J., Richter M., Aldén M., Hildingsson L. and Johansson B.: “Simultaneous OH- and formaldehyde-LIF measurements in an HCCI engine”, SAE 2003-01-3218.
- Collin R., Nygren J., Richter M., Aldén M., Hildingsson L. and Johansson B.: “Studies of the Combustion Process with Simultaneous Formaldehyde and OH PLIF in a Direct-Injected HCCI engine”, submitted to COMODIA 2004.
- Dec J. E. and Espey C.: “Chemiluminescence imaging of autoignition in a DI diesel engine”, SAE 982685
- Dec J. E. and Coy E. B.: “OH radical imaging in a DI diesel engine and the structure of the early diffusion flame”, SAE 960831
- Kosaka H., Drewes V. H., Catalfamo L., Aradi A. A., Iida N., Kamimoto T.: “Two-dimensional imaging of formaldehyde formed during the ignition process of a diesel fuel spray”, SAE 2000-01-0236
- Hasegawa R. and Yanagihara H.: “HCCI Combustion in DI Diesel Engine”, SAE 2003-01-0745