This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Fuel Volatility on HCCI Using Simultaneous Formaldehyde and OH PLIF
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Simultaneous formaldehyde and OH PLIF have been applied in a direct-injected HCCI engine. The engine is a 0.5 l single-cylinder optical engine equipped with EGR system. PLIF measurements were performed with the engine run with two different fuels of low and high volatility, respectively. Different ratios of EGR were also examined. The aim of the study was to investigate how fuels with different volatility and EGR affect the HCCI combustion and measurements were performed for early and late injection timings.
Measurements are presented for different injection timings showing formaldehyde and OH from start of injection until late in the expansion stroke. Also, formaldehyde distributions obtained from after the low temperature regime and before the high temperature regime are studied for different tuning of the start of injection from 300CAD to 20CAD before top dead center. In this investigation the spatial homogeneity of the formaldehyde distributions and the surface fraction of LIF signal covering the image are compared for the different fuels and EGR ratios.
- Robert Collin - Division of Combustion Physics Lund Institute of Technology
- Jenny Nygren - Division of Combustion Physics Lund Institute of Technology
- Mattias Richter - Division of Combustion Physics Lund Institute of Technology
- Marcus Aldén - Division of Combustion Physics Lund Institute of Technology
- Leif Hildingsson - Division of Combustion Engines Lund Institute of Technology
- Bengt Johansson - Division of Combustion Engines Lund Institute of Technology
CitationCollin, R., Nygren, J., Richter, M., Aldén, M. et al., "The Effect of Fuel Volatility on HCCI Using Simultaneous Formaldehyde and OH PLIF," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2948, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2948.
SAE 2004 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V113-4 ; Published: 2005-07-05
Number: V113-4 ; Published: 2005-07-05
- Christensen M. and Johansson B.: “Influence of Mixture Quality on Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition”, SAE 982454.
- Najt P., Foster D.E.: “Compression-Ignited Homogeneous Charge Combustion”, SAE 830264.
- Aoyama T., Hattori Y., Mizuta J., and Y. Sato: “An Experimental Study on Premixed-Charge Compression Ignition Gasoline Engine”, SAE 960081.
- Olsson J-O., Erlandsson O., and B. Johansson: “Experiments and Simulation of a Six-Cylinder Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (Hcci) Engine”, SAE 2000-01-2867.
- Olsson J-O., P. Tunestål, and B. Johansson: “Closed-Loop Control of An Hcci Engine”, SAE 2001-01-1031.
- Olsson J-O., Tunestål P., Haraldsson G., and Johansson B.: “A Turbocharged Dual-Fuel Hcci Engine”, SAE 2001-01-1896.
- Neij H., Johansson B. and M. Aldén: “Development and Demonstration of 2D-LIF for Studies of Mixture Preparation in SI Engines”, Combustion and Flame 99: 449-457 (1994).
- Graf N., Gronki J., Schulz C., Baritaud T., Cherel J., Duret P., and J. Lavy: “In-Cylinder Combustion Visualization in an Auto-Igniting Gasoline Engine using Fuel Tracer- and Formaldehyde-LIF Imaging”, SAE 2001-01-1924.
- Collin R., Nygren J., Richter M., and M. Aldén, L. Hildingsson and B. Johansson: “Simultaneous OH- and formaldehyde-LIF measurements in an HCCI engine”, SAE 2003-01-3218.
- Collin R., Nygren J., Richter M., and M. Aldén, L. Hildingsson and B. Johansson: “Studies of the Combustion Process with Simultaneous Formaldehyde and OH PLIF in a Direct-Injected HCCI engine”, Proceeding of the Sixth International Symposium on Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines (COMODIA), August 2-5, Yokohama, Japan, 311-317, 2004.
- Metz T., Bai X., Ossler F., and Aldén M.: “Fluorescence lifetimes of formaldehyde (H2CO) in the A1A2→X1A1 band system at elevated temperatures and pressures”, Spectrochim. Acta Part A 60, 1043-4053 (2004).