This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Visualization of EGR Influence on Diesel Combustion With Long Ignition Delay in a Heavy-duty Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The effects of EGR on diesel combustion were visually examined in a single-cylinder heavy duty research engine with a low compression ratio, low swirl, a CR fuel injection system and an eight-orifice nozzle. Optical access was primarily obtained through the cylinder head. The effects of EGR were found to be significant. NOx emissions were reduced from over 500 ppm at 0% EGR to 5 ppm at 55% EGR. At higher levels of EGR (approximately 35% or more) there was a loss in efficiency. Constant fuel masses were injected. Results from the optical measurements and global emission data were compared in order to obtain a better understanding of the spray behaviour and mixing process. Optical measurements provide fundamental insights by visualizing air motion and combustion behaviour. The NOx reductions observed might be explained by reductions in oxygen concentration associated with the increases in EGR.
CitationHusberg, T., Gjirja, S., Denbratt, I., and Engström, J., "Visualization of EGR Influence on Diesel Combustion With Long Ignition Delay in a Heavy-duty Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2947, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2947.
- Heywood, J.B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraw-Hill Inc 1988
- Groenendijk, A. Müller, E. “Mixture Formation and Combustion Control for Low Emission DI Diesel Combustion with HCCI-Characteristics” THIESEL 2002 Conference on Thermo- and Fluid-Dynamic Processes in Diesel engines 2002
- Bakenhus, Marco Reitz, R.D “Two-Color Combustion Visualization of Single and Split Injections in a Single-Cylinder Heavy-Duty D.I. Diesel Engine Using an Endoscope-Based Imaging System” SAE Paper 1999-01-1112 1999
- Hampson, G.J. Reitz, R.D. “Two-Color Imaging of In-Cylinder Soot Concentration and Temperature in a Heavy-Duty D.I. Diesel Engine with Comparison to Multidimensional Modeling for Single and Split Injections” SAE Paper 980524 1998
- Kimura, S. Aoki, O. Ogawa, H. Muranaka, S. Enomoto, Y. “New Combustion Concept for Ultra-Clean and High-Efficiency Small DI Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 1999-01-3681 1999
- Simescu, S. Ryan T.W. III Neely, G.D. Matheaus, A.C. Surampudi, B. “Partial Pre-Mixed Combustion with Cooled and Uncooled EGR in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 2002-01-0963 2002
- Simescu, S Fiveland, S.B. Dodge, L.G. “An Experimental Investigation of PCCI-DI Combustion and Emissions in a Heavy-Duty Engine” SAE Paper 2003-01-0345 2003
- Glassman, I. “Combustion” Third Academic Press San Diego, CA 1999