This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of a Gear-Based Variable Compression Ratio Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 25, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
At the end of four years Research & Development programme, the bench test results for the MCE-5 VCR engine are presented.
Downsized supercharged Variable Compression Ratio engines allow for a 30% fuel consumption reduction while providing high power and torque and opening the way to numerous pollutants emissions reduction strategies.
In this context, piston to crankshaft transmission by means of gears gives new opportunities for future mass production of rigid and robust low friction engines that conform to VCR requirements while improving piston and rings operation.
Through development programmes, the MCE-5 gear-based compression ratio control device proved its robustness and reliability, as well as its ability to allow the design of compact and efficient VCR engines which are easy to integrate into all vehicles.
|Technical Paper||Variable Compression Ratio Engine|
|Technical Paper||Gear Design and Dimensioning Study for a Variable Compression Ratio Engine|
|Technical Paper||LOTUS: A Co-operation for Low Temperature Urea-Based Selective Catalytic Reduction of NOx|
CitationRabhi, V., Beroff, J., and Dionnet, F., "Study of a Gear-Based Variable Compression Ratio Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2931, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2931.
SI Engine Performance and Additives, Gasoline Engine Cold Start, and Direct Injection
Number: SP-1895; Published: 2004-10-25
Number: SP-1895; Published: 2004-10-25
- Henriot Georges “Engrenages: conception, fabrication, mise en oeuvre” 7 Dunod
- Pliant Michel Martyr Anthony « Engine testing theory and practice » 2nd Butterworth, Heinemann
- Benefits and Challenges of Variable Compression Ratio (VCR) Roberts Martyn Prodrive Ltd SAE 2003-01-0398
- A Study of a Variable Compression Ratio System with a Multi-Link Mechanism Moteki Katsuya Aoyama Shunichi Ushijima Kenshi Hiyoshi Ryousuke Takemura Shinichi Fujimoto Hiroya Arai Takayuki NISSAN MOTOR CO., LTD SAE 2003-01-0921
- Variable compression ratio engine Mendler Charles Envera, LLC Gravel Roland US Department of Energy SAE 2002-01-1940
- Variable Compression Ratio - A design for fuel Economy Concepts Schwaderlapp Markus Habermann Knut Yapici Kurt I. FEV Motorentechnik SAE 2002-01-1103
- Increased Power Density via Variable Compression / Displacement and Turbocharging using the Alvar-Cycle Engine Wong V.W. Stewart, M. Lundholm, G. Hoglund, A. SAE 981027 (Int. Cong. Detroit, 2/23-26/1998)
- Friction Losses of a Novel Prototype Variable Expansion-Ratio, Spark Ignition, Four-Stroke Engine Kentfield, J. A. C. Fernandes L.C.V. University of Calgary SAE 972659 (Conf. San Diego 8/06-08/1997)
- Kurbeltrieb für variable Verdichtung Bollig Christoph Habermann Knut Marckwardt Henning Yapici Kurt Immren MTZ 58 1997 11 706 709
- The Otto-Atkinson Cycle Engine-Fuel Economy and Emissions Results and Hardware Design Boggs, D. L. Hilbert, H. S. Schechter, M. M. Powertrain Res. Lab. Ford Motor Co., USA SAE 950089 (1995) ou SP- 1108 (Futuristic Concepts in Engines and Components) 47 59
- A variable expansion-ratio, spark ignition, four-stroke, engine with a controlled compression ratio Kentfield, J. A. C. Dep. Mech. Eng., Univ. Calgary, Canada Proc. Intersoc. Energy Convers. Eng. Conf. (1993), 28th 1 1937 1942
- A Simple Variable Expansion-Ratio, Spark Ignition, Four-Stoke, Engine Kentfield, J. A. C. University of Calgary SAE 932874
- Variable compression ratio system for reciprocating s.i. engines Gentili, R. Forasassi, G. Bruno, P. Giordano, M. AssociazioneTecnica dell' Automobile,Torino,Italy Meeting Into.: Small Engine Technology Conference Pisa, Italy 1993 Dec 01 1993 Dec 03
- Combustion characteristics of an Otto-Atkinson engine using late inlet valve closing and multi-point electronic fuel injection O'Flynn, G. T. Saunders, R. J. Ma, T. H. 24 th FISITA Congress. London, England. 1992 Jun 07 -1992 Jun 11. paper C389/041 or 925107
- A Design and Experimental Study of an Otto Atkinson Cycle Engine Using Late Intake Valve Closing Blakey, S.C. Saunders, R.J. Ma, T.H. Chopra, A. SAE 910451
- Research Engine for Evaluating the Effects of Variable Compression Ratio (VCR) and/or Variable Valve Timing (VVT) Larsen, G.J. SAE 910053 (Int. Cong. Detroit, 2/25-3/01/1991)
- Development of pistons with variable compression height for increasing efficiency and specific power output of combustion engines Wirbeleit, F.G. Binder, K. Gwinner, D. SAE 900229 (Int. Cong. Detroit, 2/26-3/02/1990)
- First experimental analysis of an internal combustion engine with variable stroke and compression ratio Impero Abenavoli, Romano Naso, Vincenzo Rychter, Tadeusz Teodorczyk, Andrey Conference - IECEC 90 8/12-17/1990 - Proceedings of the Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference 2 IEEE, IEEE Service Center Piscataway, NJ, USA 198 203
- Reciprocating, spark ignition, internal-combustion engine with a variable expansion ratio. Kentfield, J.A.C. Conference - IECEC-89.Part 5 (of 6): Systems, Cycles and Engines 06 Aug 1989-11 Aug 1989 Proceedings of the Intersociety Energy Conversion Engineering Conference 5 IEEE, IEEE Service Center Piscataway, NJ, USA 2571 2578
- Theoretical and experimental investigation of a pressure-relief valve for variable compression ratio pistons Ladommatos, N. Barber, J. R. Brown, I. A. C. 1989 Institution of Mechanical Engineers London, England I Mech E 894727
- Variable Valve Closure Timing for Load Control and the Otto Atkinson Cycle Engine Saunders, R. J. Abdui-Wahab, E. A. SAE 890677 (Int. Cong. Detroit, 2/27-3/03/1989)
- Computer simulation of an Otto-Atkinson cycle engine with variable timing multi-intake valves and variable compression ratio Ma, T. H. Rajabu, H. I Mech E paper C53/88 1988
- Analysis of the Combustion Process of a Spark Ignition Engine with a variable Compression Ratio Adams W H Hinrichs H. G Pischinger F.F. Adamis P Schumacher V Walzer P FEV Motorentechnik, Aachen LAT Aachen Tech Univ Volkswagen A.G. SAE 870610 (Int. Cong. Detroit 2/23-27/87)
- Examination of the use of a variable compression ratio piston in a spark ignition engine Agnew, B. Tam, I. Palmer, D Practical Limits of Efficiency of Engines Inst of Mechanical Engineers, Power Industries Div London, Engl 13 Nov 1986 Mechanical Engineering Publ Ltd Bury St.Edmunds, Engl 77 84 0-85298-618-1
- Variable Valve Timing and Variable Compression Ratio in the Spark-Ignition Engine - Variable Steuerzeiten und Variable Verdichttung beim Ottomotor Walzer, Peter Adamis, Panagiotis Heinrich, Hartmut Schumacher, Volker MTZ 47 1 Jan 1986 15 20
- Watt variable compression ratio (VCR) cylinder head for spark ignition engines Cowley, G.R. Mech Eng Trans Inst Eng Aust ME8 1 Jun 1983 23 31
- The “Alvar” Engine Concept. A variable compression ratio spark ignition engine Lia T.A. 19 th Fed. Int. Soc. Ing. Tech. Aut. (FISITA) - Melbourne 11/8-12/82 - Pap. N° 82128 19TH FISITA Congr. Proc. N.P- 1 26 2 128.1 128.6 1982
- The Otto-Atkinson Engine. A New Concept in Automotive Economy Luria D Taitel Y Stotter A Tel-Aviv Univ. Technion, Israel Inst. Technol. SAE 820352 (Int. Cong. Detroit 2/22-26/82)
- AVCR 1360-2 High Specific Output Variable Compression Ratio Diesel Engine Grundy J.R. Kiley L R Brevick E A Teledyne Continental Motors SAE 760051 (Int. Cong. Detroit 2/23-27/76)