This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Wheel Traction Prediction - A Comparison Between Models and Experimental Data
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 26, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper attempts to determine which traction model best fits with experimental data for a romanian lugged tractor tire. Different models for predicting net traction and traction efficiency for off-road conditions were considered. These models assume different tire-ground pressure distributions (constant, parabolic) over the undertread area and different contact patch length calculations.
Experiments were conducted and the results were compared to the theoretical data. Two of the models are the best fit with the experimental data; both models assumed a parabolic pressure distribution over the undertread.
|Technical Paper||Engine Torque Measurement Using Telemetry|
|Technical Paper||Optimizing Validation Programs with the Load Matrix Method|
|Technical Paper||Performance of Dual and Tandem Traction Tires — A Model Study|
CitationRadu, R., Edward, R., and Gheorghe, M., "Wheel Traction Prediction - A Comparison Between Models and Experimental Data," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2707, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2707.
- El-Gawwad Abd et al. Off-road tyre modelling IV: extended treatment of tyre-terrain interaction for the multi-spoke model Journal of Terramechanics 36 1999 77 90 Elsevier Science Amsterdam
- Adams, B. T. Central tire inflation for agricultural vehicles Graduate College, Univ. of Illinois Urbana - Champaign 2002
- Ali, O.S. McKyes, E. Traction characteristics of lugs for tires Transactions of the ASAE 1998 239 248 St. Joseph, Michigan
- Bekker G.M. Introduction to terrain-vehicle systems Univ. of Meichigan Press Ann Arbor 1969
- Gill, W. R. Van den Berg, G. E. Soil dynamics in tillage and traction Agr. Handbook 316 Agr. Res. Service U. S. Dept. of Agriculture 1967
- Komandi, G. Reevaluation of the adhesive relationship between the tire and the soil Journal of Terramechanics 30 2 1993 77 83
- Lach, B. The influence of tire inflation pressure - a comparison between simulation and experiment 1 st East European Conference of the ISTVS Wroclaw 1996
- Saarilahti, M. Development of a protocol for ecoefficient wood harvesting on sensitive sites - Soil interaction model 2002 15 30 Univ. of Helsinki, Dept. of forest resource management
- Schmid, I. C. Interaction of the vehicle terrain results from 10 years research at IKK Journal of Terramechanics 32 1 1995 3 27 Elsevier Science Amsterdam
- Upadhyaya, S.K. Dvoralai, Wulfson Jubbal, G. Traction prediction equations for radial ply tyres Journal of Terramechanics 26 2 1989 149 175 Elsevier Science Amsterdam
- Upadhyaya, S.K. Dvoralai, Wulfson Jubbal, G. Review of traction prediction equations ASAE Paper 90 - 1573 1990 St. Joseph, Michigan
- Upadhyaya, S.K. Dvoralai, Wulfson Relationship between tire deflection characteristics and 2-D tire contact area Transactions of the ASAE 33 1 1990 25 30 St. Joseph, Michigan
- Wolf, D. Shmulevich, I. Mussel, U. Wheel traction prediction on hard soil Transactions of the ASAE 39 4 1996 1275 1283
- Dvoralai Wulfson Upadhyaya, S.K. Prediction of traction and soil compaction using three-dimensional soil-tyre contact profile Journal of Terramechanics 29 6 1992 541 564 Elsevier Science Amsterdam
- Agricultural Machinery Management Data St. Joseph, Michigan, U.S.A. 1999