This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Impact of the Dynamic Tractor-Semitrailer Interaction on the Ride Behaviour of Fully-Laden and Unladen Trucks
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 26, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper, the effect of the dynamic interaction between tractor and semitrailer on the ride behaviour of heavy good vehicles is investigated. A multi-body model is constructed for a 4-axle tractor-semitrailer vehicle with flexible frames and excited by random road irregularities. The modal parameters of the connected frames are calculated using the FEM (Finite Element Method), as an integrated free vibrating structure, and incorporated with the equations of motion of the whole vehicle which are generated using the Lagrange energy approach.
Frequency response analysis is carried out for random road excitations to evaluate the vehicle ride dynamics. In order to give a broad overview of the vehicle ride quality, different loading conditions are considered in the computer simulation. The results showed that the acceleration levels of vehicle components are significantly increased when the effect of an empty semitrailer is considered within the vehicle model. This effect is suppressed by reducing the stiffness and damping coefficients of the suspension systems of the tractor and semitrailer. Practically, a change in the suspension stiffness can be achieved using conventional multi-stage leaf springs or adjustable air suspension systems in such a way so as to keep the static suspension deflections similar to those of the laden condition. At the same time, switchable dampers can be used to alter the damping coefficients. The results (root mean square values and power spectral density functions) showed that excellent improvements in ride behaviour of unladen vehicle can be achieved by using specific suspension parameters.
CitationIbrahim, I., Crolla, D., and Barton, D., "The Impact of the Dynamic Tractor-Semitrailer Interaction on the Ride Behaviour of Fully-Laden and Unladen Trucks," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2625, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2625.
SAE 2004 Transactions Journal of Commercial Vehicles
Number: V113-2; Published: 2005-07-05
Number: V113-2; Published: 2005-07-05
- Wallentowitz, H. Holdmann, P. 1997 ‘Hardware and software demands on adjustable shock absorbers for trucks and passenger cars’ RWTH, Institut Fur Kraftfahrwesen
- El-Madany, M. M. 1988 ‘Design and optimization of truck suspensions using covariance analysis’ Computers & structures 28 2 241 246
- Chandrasekaran, A. K. Rizzoni, G. Soliman, A. Josephson, J. Carroll, M. 2002 ‘Design optimization of heavy vehicles by dynamic simulations’ SAE Paper No. 2002-01-3061 69 77
- Naude, A. F. Snyman, I. A. 2003 ‘Optimisation of road vehicle passive suspension systems. Part1: Optimisation algorithm and vehicle model’ Applied Mathematical Modelling 27 249 261
- Cole, D. J. Cebon, D. 1998 ‘Influence of tractor-trailer interaction on assessment of road damaging performance’ Proc Instn Mech Engrs 212 1 10
- Dokainish, M. A. El-Madany, M. M. 1980 ‘Random response of tractor-semitrailer system’ VSD 9 112
- Ibrahim, I. M. 2002 ‘Non-linear simulation model for articulated vehicles with controllable dampers and flexible sub-structures’ SAE Paper No. 2002-01-3043
- Hac, A. 1986 ‘Stochastic optimal control of vehicles with elastic body and active suspension’ Trans. ASME, J. Meas. Cont. 108 106 110
- Gadala, M. E. El-Madany, M. M. Gadala, M. S. 1986 ‘Finite element and analytical modelling of a tractor-semitrailer vehicle’ Computers & Structures 23 6 831 836
- Ibrahim, I. M. Crolla, D. A. Barton, D. C. 1996 ‘Effect of frame flexibility on the ride vibration of trucks’ Computers & Structures 58 4 709 713
- Margolis, D. 2001 ‘Optimal suspension parameter distributions and roadway profiles for isolation of heavy trucks’ VSD 35 1 1 18
- Ibrahim, I. M. 2002 ‘Design of a compensating fifth wheel for improving the roll dynamic behavior of the tractors semi-trailers’ SAE Transactions, Journal of Commercial Vehicles, section 2, Paper No. 2002-01-3058 602 614
- Ibrahim, I. M. 2004 ‘A generally applicable 3D truck ride simulation with coupled rigid bodies and finite element models’ Heavy Vehicle Systems, Int. J. of Vehicle Design 11 1
- El-Madany, M. M. 1987 ‘An analytical investigation of isolation systems for cab ride’ Computers & structures 27 5 679 688
- Ibrahim, I. M. EL-Maddah, M. M. 1996 ‘Influence of frame flexibility and fifth wheel constraints on the ride behaviour of articulated semitrailer systems’ Proceedings of the 7 th Applied Mechanics and Mechanical Engineering Conference Military Technical College Cairo-Egypt 575 588
- Craig, R. R. 1981 ‘Structural Dynamics John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 341 379
- Heisler, H. 1989 ‘Advanced Vehicle Technology, Chapter 10: Suspension’ Arnold Edward 308 379