This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combined Terrain, Vehicle, and Digital Human Models Used for Human Operator Performance Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 15, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A combined biodynamic and vehicle model is used to assess the vibration and performance of a human operator performing driving and other tasks. The other tasks include reaching, pointing and tracking by the driver and/or passenger. This analysis requires the coordinated use of separate and mature software programs for anthropometrics, vehicle dynamics, biodynamics, and systems analysis. The total package is called AVB-DYN, an acronym for Anthropometrics, Vehicle, and Bio-DYNamics. The objectives and architecture are discussed, and then a preliminary version of this package is demonstrated in an example where a HMMWV (High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle) operator is performing a driving task.
CitationThompson, P., Liang, C., Klyde, D., and Allen, R., "Combined Terrain, Vehicle, and Digital Human Models Used for Human Operator Performance Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2152, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2152.
- Griffin, M. J. Handbook of Human Vibration Academic Press, Harcourt and Brace Publishers London 1990
- Jex, H. R. Magdaleno, R. E. Progress in Measuring and Modeling the Effects of Low Frequency Vibration on Performance AGARD Conference Proceedings CP-253: Models and Analogues for the Evaluation of Human Biodynamic Response, Performance and Protection Paris 6-10 November 1978 von Gierke, H.E.
- Chaffin, D. B. Digital Human Modeling for Vehicle and Workplace Design Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 2001
- Pillips, C. Bader N.I. JACK: A toolkit for manipulating articulated figures ACM/SIGGRAPH Symposium on User Interface Software Banff, Canada October 1988
- Allen, R.W. Rosenthal T.J. Requirements for Vehicle Dynamics Simulation Models SAE Paper 94017 SAE Warrendale, PA Feb. 1994
- Allen, R. W. Szostak H. T. Et. Al. Analytical Modeling of Driver Response in Crash Avoidance Maneuvering, Vol. I: Technical Background April 1988
- Rosenthal, T. J. Chrstos J. P. Klyde D. H. Heydinger G. J. Ground Vehicle Dynamic Modeling for Multibody Simulation Applications Systems Technology, Inc. Hawthorne, CA 1999
- Allen, R. W. Rosenthal T.J Chrstos J.P. A Vehicle Dynamics Tire Model for Both Pavement and Off-Road Conditions SAE Paper No. 970559 SAE Warrendale, PA December 1996
- Bernard, J. E. Clover, C. L. Tire Modeling for Low-Speed and High-Speed Calculations SAE Paper No. 950311 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Allen, R. W. et al. Vehicle Dynamic Stability and Rollover June 1992
- Allen, R.W. Rosenthal T.J. et al. Computer Simulation Analysis of Light Vehicle Lateral/Directional Dynamic Stability SAE Paper No: 1999-01-0124 SAE Warrendale, PA March 1999
- Heydinger G.J. et. al. Effects of Loading on Vehicle Handling SAE paper 980228 , Vehicle Dynamics and Simulation 1998, SAE SP-1361 Warrendale, PA
- Chrstos, J. P. Heydinger G.J. Evaluation of NHTSA Light Vehicle Handling Simulations NHTSA Final Report No. DOT-HS-807-868 1992
- Reidel, S.A. Magdaleno R.E. Jex H.R. User's Guide to Biodyn-80; An Interactive Software Package for Modeling Biodynamic Feedthrough to a Pilot's Hands, Head, and Eyes Dec. 1980
- Magdaleno, R. E. McRuer D. T. Experimental Validation and Analytical Models of the Pilot's Neuromuscular Subsystem in Tracking Tasks April 1971
- Jex, H.R. Magdeleno R.E. Aponso B.L. User's Guide for BIODYN-86/HMD: (An Interactive Program Ensemble for Modeling Biodynamic Feedthrough to Helmet-Mounted Displays Including Image Motion Compensation) June 1988
- Allen, R. Wade Stability Analysis of Automobile Driver Steering Control 17 th Annual Conference on Manual Control UCLA 16-18 June 1981
- Thompson, Peter M. Minimum Flying Qualities, Volume III: Program CC's Implementation of the Human Optimal Control Model Jan. 1990
- Allen, R. Wade Szostak Henry T. Theodore J. Rosenthal Analysis and Computer Simulation of Driver/Vehicle Interaction SAE Technical Paper Series 871086 Government/Industry Meeting and Exposition Washington, DC May 18-21 1987
- Allen, R. Wade Duane T. McRuer Thompson Peter M. Dynamic Systems Analysis Programs with Classical and Optimal Control Applications of Human Performance Models NATA RSG9 Workshop Orlando, Florida May 1988
- Thompson, Peter M. Program CC's Implementation of the Human Optimal Control Model AIAA GNC Conference Monterey, CA Aug. 17-19 1987
- Kleinman, D. L. Baron S. Levison W. H. An Optimal Control Model of Human Response, Part I: Theory and Validation Automatica 6 357 369 1970
- Allen, R.W. Jex H.R. Magdaleno R.E. Manual Control Performance and Dynamic Response During Sinusoidal Vibration Oct. 1973
- Jex, H.R. Magdaleno R.E. Biomechanical Models for Vibration, Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine January 1978