This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Residual Gas Trapping for Natural Gas HCCI
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
With the high auto ignition temperature of natural gas, various approaches such as high compression ratios and/or intake charge heating are required for auto ignition. Another approach utilizes the trapping of internal residual gas (as used before in gasoline controlled auto ignition engines), to lower the thermal requirements for the auto ignition process in natural gas. In the present work, the achievable engine load range is controlled by the degree of internal trapping of exhaust gas supplemented by intake charge heating. Special valve strategies were used to control the internal retention of exhaust gas. Significant differences in the degree of valve overlap were necessary when compared to gasoline operation at the same speeds and loads, resulting in lower amounts of residual gas observed. The dilution effect of residual gas trapping is hence reduced, resulting in higher NOx emissions for the stoichiometric air/fuel ratio operation as compared to gasoline.
CitationYap, D., Megaritis, A., Wyszynski, M., and Xu, H., "Residual Gas Trapping for Natural Gas HCCI," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1973, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1973.
- Christensen M., Johansson B., Einewall P. (1997): “Homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) using iso-octane, ethanol and natural gas - a comparison with spark ignition operation”, SAE Paper No. 972824.
- Christensen M., Hultqvist A., and Johansson B. (1999): “Demonstrating the multi fuel capability of a Homogeneous charge compression ignition engine with variable compression ratio”, SAE Paper 1999-01-3679, 1999.
- Najt P.M., Foster D.E. (1983): “Compression-ignited homogeneous charge combustion”, SAE Paper No. 830264.
- Thring R.H. (1989): “Homogeneous-charge compression-ignition (HCCI) engines”, SAE Paper No. 892068.
- Gray A.W., Ryan T.W. (1997): “Homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) of diesel fuel”, SAE Paper No. 971676.
- Ryan T.W., Callahan T. (1996): “Homogeneous charge compression ignition of diesel fuel”, SAE Paper No. 961160.
- Nakano M., Mandokoro Y., Kubo S., Yamazaki S., “Effects of exhaust gas recirculation in Homogeneous charge compression ignition engines”, Int J Engine Research, Vol. 1 No. 3, pp. 269-279, IMechE 2000.
- Lavy J., Dabadie J.C., Angelberger C., Wiland J., Juretzka A, Schaflein J., Ma T., Lendresse Y., Satre A., Schulz C., Kramer H., Zhao H., Damiano L. (2000): “Innovative ultra-low NOx controlled auto-ignition combustion process for gasoline engines: the 4-SPACE project”, SAE Paper No. 2000-01-1837.
- Oakley A., Zhao H., Ladommatos N. (2001): “Experimental studies on controlled auto-ignition (CAI) combustion of gasoline in a 4-stroke engine”, SAE Paper No. 2001-01-1030.
- Li J., Zhao H., Ladommatos N. (2001): “Research and development of controlled auto-ignition (CAI) combustion in a 4-stroke multi-cylinder gasoline engine”, SAE paper No. 2001-01-3608.
- Zhao H., Li J., Ma T., Ladommatos N. (2001): “Performance and analysis of a 4-stroke multi-cylinder gasoline premixed charge compression ignited engine”, SAE Paper No. 2001-01-0420.
- Zhao H., Peng Z., Williams J., Ladommatos N. (2001): “Understanding the effects of recycled burnt gases on the controlled autoignition (CAI) combustion in four-stroke gasoline engines”, SAE paper No. 2001-01-3607.
- Olsson J.O, Tunestal P., Johansson B., Fiveland S., Agama R., Willi M., and Assanis D. (2002): “Compression ratio influence on maximum load of a natural gas fueled HCCI engine”, SAE Paper No 2002-01-0111
- Chen R, Milovanovic N. (2002): “A computational study into the effect of exhaust gas recycling on homogeneous charge compression ignition combustion in internal combustion engines fuelled with methane”, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Vol. 41(9), pp. 805-813.
- Yap D., Megaritis A., Peucheret S.M., Wyszynski M.L., Xu Hongming (2004): “Effect of hydrogen addition on natural gas HCCI combustion”, SAE Paper No. 2004-01-1972 (To be presented at the SAE Fuels & Lubricants Congress, Toulouse).
- Xu H, Fu H., Williams H., and Shilling I. (2002): “Modelling study of combustion and gas exchange in a HCCI (CAI) engine”, SAE paper 2002-01-0114.
- Xu H., Williams A., Fu H., Wallace S. and Richardson S. (2003): “Operating characteristics of a homogeneous charge compression ignition engine with cam profile switching - simulation study”, SAE paper No. 2003-01-1859.
- Osborne R. J., Li G., Sapsford S. M., Stokes J., Lake T. H. and Heikal M. R. (2003): “Evaluation of HCCI for future gasoline powertrains”, SAE Paper No. 2003-01-0750.