This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of Gasoline-fuelled HCCI Engine Equipped with an Electromagnetic Valve Train
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published June 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Schemes to extend the operational region of gasoline compression ignition were explored using single (optial) and 4-cylinder 4-stroke engines equipped with an electromagnetic valve train. This report focuses mainly on the use of direct fuel injection devices (multi-hole and pintle types),exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) through valve timing, and their effects on the compression ignition operating ranges, and emissions. Also considered is charge boost HCCI using a mechanical supercharger.
The results indicated that use of either direct fuel injection or charge boost increased (relative to homogeneous charge operation using port injection) the upper load range from an IMEP peak of about 400 kPa to 650 kPa, but the use of direct fuel injection deteriorated both the co-variation in IMEP (up to about 6%) and the NOX emission levels (up to about 8 g/kWh). In contrast, charge boost retained the very low NOx emission levels of port injection HCCI. At the lower load range, a small amount of fuel injection during negative valve overlap expanded the operational range at the lower load range. It is presumed that the EGR with negative valve overlap has a similar effect as injection during negative overlap namely the oxidation of residual unburned hydrocarbons from the prior cycle during this period. This facilitates compression ignition.
CitationUrata, Y., Awasaka, M., Takanashi, J., Kakinuma, T. et al., "A Study of Gasoline-fuelled HCCI Engine Equipped with an Electromagnetic Valve Train," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1898, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1898.
- Aoyama Taro, Hattori Yoshiaki Mizuta Junichi, Sato Yasuo “An Experimental Study on Premixed-Charge compression Ignition Gasoline Engine” 1996 SAE 960081
- Hiraya Koji, Hasegawa Kazuya, Urushihara Tomonori, Iiyama Akihiro and Itoh Teruyuki “A study on Gasoline Fueled Compression Ignition Engine A Trial of Operation region Expansion” 2002 SAE 2002-01-0416
- FuerhapterA., PiockW.F., FraidlG.K., “CSI-Controlled Auto Ignition-the Best Solution for the Fuel Consumption -Versus Emission Trade-Off” 2003 SAE World Congress SAE 2003-01-0754
- Koopmans Lucien, Strom Hans, Lundgren Staffan, Backlund Ove, Denbratt Ingemar “Demonstrating a SI-HCCI-SI Mode Change on a Volvo 5-Cylinder Electronic Valve Control Engine”2003 SAE World Congress SAE 2003-01-0753
- Law Don, Kemp Dan, Allen Jeff, Kirkpatrick Gary, Copland Ted “Controlled Combustion in an IC-Engine with a Fully Variable Valve Train” 2001 SAE World Congress 2001-01-0251
- Kaneko Makoto, Morikawa Koji Itoh Jin Saishu Youhei “Study on Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Gasoline Engine second Report” Preprint of Scientific Lecture Series at 2001 Spring Congress of JSAE,No.51-01 pp9-12 (in Japanese)
- Sjöberg Magnus, Edling Lars-Olof, Eliassen Torbjorn, Magnusson Lars Ångström Hans-Erik “GDI HCCI Effects of Injection Timing and Air Swirl on Fuel Stratification, Combustion and Emissions formation.” 2002 SAE World Congress 2002-01-0106
- Lavy Jacques Dabadie Jean-Charles, Angelberger Christian, Duret Pierre, Willand Jurgen, Juretzka Andreas, Schaflein Jochen, Ma Tom, Lendresse Yvane, Satre Arnaud, Schulz Christof, Kraemer Heinz, Zhao Hua, Damiano Len, “Innovative Ultra-low NOx Controlled Auto-ignition combustion Process for Gasoline Engine: the 4-SPACE Project” SAE 2000-01-1837
- WoltersP., SalberW., GeigerJ., DuesmannM. “Controlled Auto Igniton Combustion Process with an Electromechanical valve Train” SAE 2003 World Congress 2003-01-0032
- Willand Jurgen, Nieberding Rolf-Gunther, Vent Guido, Enderle Christian “The Knock Syndrome Its Cure and Its Potential” 1998 International Fall Fuels and Lubricants Meeting and Exposition 982483
- Urushihara Tomonori,Hiraya Koji, kakuhou Akihiko,Itoh Teruyuki “Expansion of HCCI Operation region by the combination of Direct Fuel Injection, Negative Valve Overlap and Internal fuel reformation” 2003 SAE World Congress 2003-01-0749
- Christensen Magnus, Johansson Bengt, Amneus Per, Mauss Fabian “Supercharged Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition” 1998 International Congress and Exposition 980787
- Olsson Jan-Ola, Tunestål Per, Haraldsson Goran, Johansson Bengt “A Turbo Charged Dual fuel HCCI Engine” 2001 International Spring Fuels & Lubricants 2001-01-1896