This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development and Testing of a Compact and Mobile CVS System for Passenger Car Particulate Measurement
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper reports on the development and testing of a compact and mobile CVS system for the measurement of particulate matter emissions of diesel passenger cars. It consists of the same components as a conventional CVS system but needs much less space. Reducing the size of the CVS system was achieved by the optimization of the turbulent flow in the dilution tunnel by the use of an optimized mixing chamber, in which the engine exhaust gas is diluted with filtered ambient air. The measures taken to improve the turbulence in the dilution tunnel lead to the same effect as a tunnel with dimensions according to the legislative regulations. All the components of the mobile CVS system are arranged in a very compact design, so that the new system has a size of only about (1.70 x 0.80 x 2.10) m. Due to the mobility which is possible with such a design, the new system can be quickly adapted to different engine and vehicle test cells for passenger cars.
The new system was tested in transient test cycles and in steady state tests on a modern Euro 2 diesel engine and on a modern diesel passenger car meeting Euro 3 legislation. The results were compared to fully legislation compliant, conventional CVS systems and showed a good correlation between the new system and the conventional system used for reference.
CitationZelenka, B., Hohenberg, G., Thiel, W., and Ziegler, P., "Development and Testing of a Compact and Mobile CVS System for Passenger Car Particulate Measurement," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1444, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1444.
- Code of Federal Regulations, Title 40, Part 86, Subpart B - Emission Regulations for 1977 and Later Model Year New Light-Duty Vehicles and New Light-Duty Trucks; Test Procedures; 1999
- Council Directive 91/441/EEC amending Directive 70/220/EEC on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to measures to be taken against air pollution by emissions from motor vehicles, 26 June 1991
- Hohenberg Günter et al., Zukünftige Partikelemissionsgrenzwerte und deren messtechnische Erfassung am Beispiel des Dieselpartikelfilters, Forum Partikelemissionen AVL Deutschland 2002, Nuremberg
- Shi J.P. et al., Particle size distribution from a modern heavy duty diesel engine, The Science of the Total Environment, 235, 305-317, 1999
- Dahmann D. et al., Intercomparison of mobility particle sizers (MPS), Gefahrstoffe-Reinhaltung der Luft, 61, 423-428, 2001
- Thiel W. et al., Problems of Partial Sample Systems for Modal Raw Exhaust Mass Emission Measurement, SAE Paper 2003-01-0779, March 2003
- Khalek Imad A. et al., Performance of Partial Flow Sampling Systems Relative to Full Flow CVS for Determination of Particulate Emissions under Steady-State and Transient Diesel Engine Operation, SAE Paper 2002-01-1718, May 2002
- Clerc James C. et al., A Computer Heat Transfer and Hydrocarbon Adsorption Model for Predicting Diesel Particulate Emissions in Dilution Tunnels, SAE Paper 821218, October 1982
- Kittelson David B. et al., Variability in Particle Emission Measurements in the Heavy Duty Transient Test, SAE Paper 910738, February 1991
- Engeljehringer K. et al., Meeting ISO 8178 Requirements for the Measurement of Diesel Particulates with Partial-Flow Dilution Systems, SAE Paper 932466, September 1993
- Silvis William M. et al., Diesel Particulate Measurement with Partial Flow Sampling Systems: A New Probe and Tunnel Design that Correlates with Full Flow Tunnels, SAE Paper 2002-01-0054, March 2002
- Plee S.L. et al., Some Mechanisms Affecting the Mass of Diesel Exhaust Particulate Collected Following a Dilution Process, SAE Paper 800186, 1980
- Wei Qiang et al., Single-Stage Dilution Tunnel Design, SAE Paper 2001-01-0207, March 2001
- Silvis William M., A CFV Type Mini-dilution Sampling System for Vehicle Exhaust Emissions Measurement, SAE Paper 1999-01-0151, March 1999
- Engeljehringer K. et al., Experiences with a Mini-Dilution System for Engine Homologation and Development, SAE Paper 942418, November 1994