This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Simulations of a Car Underbody: Effect of Front-Wheel Deflectors
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 8, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Numerical simulations of a detailed car underbody have been carried out using a commercial code. The objective of the present study was to decrease vehicle aerodynamic drag by placing front-wheel deflectors and to understand the influence of these extra details on the underbody flow. A base-model and five different configurations have been investigated and analyzed. The results are presented in terms of drag and front and rear lift values. In addition, the drag contribution of individual parts/areas of the underbody is also presented, which helps a great deal the understanding of the effect of front-wheels deflectors on the underbody of a vehicle. The results show that, in most cases, front-wheel deflectors are very effective in reducing overall aerodynamic drag (values around dCd = −0.010 were calculated, which correspond to a 4% reduction in drag). However, the deflector itself has a significant contribution to the final drag, and its shape and location should be optimized in order to maximize its effect.
CitationSebben, S., "Numerical Simulations of a Car Underbody: Effect of Front-Wheel Deflectors," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1307, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1307.
- Skea, A.F., Bullen, P.R., and Harvey, J.K., “The use of CFD to predict the air flow around a rotating wheels”, 2nd MIRA International Conference on Vehicle Aerodynamics, 1998.
- Skea, A.F., Bullen, P.R., and Qiao, J., “Underbody aerodynamics: Using CFD to simulate the airflow around a rotating wheel of a passenger car”, Birmingham, 1999.
- Skea, A.F., Bullen, P.R., and Qiao, J., “Review of Underbody Aerodynamics: Testing Techniques; Airflow Characteristics; CFD Contribution”, Ford Technical Journal, 1998.
- Vitali, D., Casella, M., and Bergamini, P., “CFD Prediction of the Effect on Aerodynamic Drag of Vehicle Underbody”, ECCOMAS 96 Proceedings, John Wiley & Sons, UK, 1996.
- Hucho, W.H., “Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles”, 4th Ed., Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, Pa, 1998.
- Sebben, S., “Numerical Flow Simulations of a Detailed Car Underbody”, SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0703.
- Jerhamre, A. and Bergström, C., “Numerical Study of Brake Disc Cooling Accounting for both Aerodynamic Drag Force and Cooling Efficiency”, SAE technical paper 2001-01-0948.
- Axelsson, N., Ramnefors, M., and Gustafsson, R., “Accuracy in Computational Aerodynamics Part 1: Stagnation Pressure”, SAE Technical Paper 980037, 1998.
- Perzon, S., Sjögren, T., and Jönson, A., “Accuracy in Computational Aerodynamics Part2: Base Pressure”, SAE Technical Paper 980038, 1998.
- Perzon, S., Janson, J., and Höglin, L., “On Comparisons Between CFD Methods and Wind Tunnel Test on a Bluff Body”, SAE Technical Paper 199-01-0805, 1999.