This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Testing of a Fuel-Cell Powered Propulsion System Supported by a Hybrid UC-Battery Storage
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To date hybrid-electric vehicles (HEV) make use of high-power density ac propulsion systems to provide comparable performance with vehicles using internal combustion engine (ICE) technology. Electric motor, inverter, and associated control technology has made substantial progress during the past decade and it is not the limiting factor to either vehicle performance or the large-scale production of hybrid vehicles. The search for a compact, lightweight, and efficient energy storage system that is both affordable and has acceptable life cycle remains the major roadblock to large-scale production of HEVs.
This paper deals with an original HEV propulsion system that includes fuel cell generator and an energy storage system combining ultracapacitor tank and battery. The three on-board power sources supply the vehicle traction drive through a multi-input dc-to-dc power converter which provides the desired management of the power flows. In particular, in the proposed arrangement the ultracapacitor tank is used for leveling the battery load current during transients resulting from either acceleration or braking operation of the vehicle. The paper outlines the features of the dc-to-dc power converter being used in the proposed propulsion system. The control strategy adopted for power flow sharing among the on-board sources is described and main characteristics of a 35 kW prototype of the propulsion system jointly developed by ENEA (Italian National Agency for New Technologies, Energy and Environment) and University ROMA TRE are depicted; both simulation and experimental results are presented.
- M. Pasquali - ENEA Research Center “Casaccia”, Electrical & Hybrid Vehicles Testing Laboratories
- A. Puccetti - ENEA Research Center “Casaccia”, Electrical & Hybrid Vehicles Testing Laboratories
- E. Rossi - ENEA Research Center “Casaccia”, Electrical & Hybrid Vehicles Testing Laboratories
- F. Crescimbini - University “ROMA TRE”, Dept. of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering
- A. Lidozzi - University “ROMA TRE”, Dept. of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering
- L. Solero - University “ROMA TRE”, Dept. of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering
CitationDi Napoli, ., Crescimbini, F., Lidozzi, A., Solero, L. et al., "Design and Testing of a Fuel-Cell Powered Propulsion System Supported by a Hybrid UC-Battery Storage," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1303, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1303.
Advanced Powertrains on CD-ROM from the SAE 2004 World Congress
Number: SP-1836CD; Published: 2004-03-08
Number: SP-1836CD; Published: 2004-03-08
- “Ultracapacitors Employment in Supply Systems for EV Motor Drives: Theoretical Study and Experimental Results” Caricchi F. Crescimbini F. Capponi F. Giulii Solero L. Proc. of the 14th International Electric Vehicle Symposium 1997
- “Employment of Ultra-Capacitors for Power Leveling Requirements in EV: a State of the Art” Brucchi F. Bianco G. Lo Salvati P. Capponi F. Giulii Solero L. Proc. of the 32th ISATA 1999
- “Power Converter Arrangements with Ultracapacitor Tank for Battery Load Leveling in EV Motor Drives” Di Napoli Capponi F. Giulii Solero L. Proc. of the 8th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications 1999
- “Ultracapacitor Tests for EV Applications: Introduction of New Equalisation Coefficients” Brucchi F. Conte M. Capponi F. Giulii Bianco G. Lo Salvati P. Solero L. Proc. of the 16th International Electric Vehicle Symposium 1999
- “On the bench” Bernardini G. Conte M. Andreis L.De Pede G. Rossi E. Vellone R. ElectRic and Hybrid Vehicles Technology 1997
- “Vehicle Testing in ENEA Drive-train Test Facility” BIANCO Giulia LO PEDE Giovanni PUCCETTI Angelo ROSSI Ennio ENEA MANTOVANI Giorgio ALTRA Advanced Hybrid Vehicles Powertrains Detroit March 2001
- “Ultracapacitors and the Hybrid Electric Vehicle” Maher B. Applications Engineer
- “Evaluating Commercial and Prototype HEVs” An Feng et alii Argonne National Laboratory Detroit March 2001
- “Combining Ultra-Capacitors with lead- acid Batteries” Arnet B.J. Haines L.P. Solectria Corporation Montreal October 2000
- “Advanced Batteries for Electric Vehicles: An Assessment of Performance, Cost, and Availability” June 2000 The Year 2000 Battery Technology Advisory Panel State of California Air Resources Board
- “Recent Accomplishment of the Electric and Hybrid Vehicle Storage R&D Programs at the U.S. Department of Energy: a Status Report” Sutula R. et alii Montreal October 2000
- “Ultracapacitor and Battery Storage System Supporting Fuel-Cell Powered Vehicles” Di Napoli A. Crescimbini F. Solero L. Pede G. Bianco G. Lo Pasquali M. Berlin October 2001
- “Hybrid Storage System: an optimization case” Di Napoli A. University Roma 3 Pede G. SAE Paper 2002-01-1914 Future Car Congress Arlington June 2002