This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermal Properties of the Intelligent Catalyst
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
We have developed a revolutionary automotive catalyst that maintains high activity by the suppression of grain growth of precious metals. This catalyst contains Pd-perovskite crystal which has shown a capacity for self-regeneration of Pd in a cycle of solid solution and segregation in perovskite crystals [1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6]. We named this catalyst the “Intelligent Catalyst” and first commercialized it in the Japanese market in October 2002 [7, 8].
In this study, we investigated the activity of Pd at various temperatures to confirm that the self-regenerative mechanism worked well at low temperatures like those right after engine starting. We also examined the durability of perovskite structure at high temperatures and tested its catalytic activity after engine aging at high temperatures above 1000 °C up to 1100 °C. It is proved that the intelligent catalyst has both excellent activity and durability under practical conditions.
- Masashi Taniguchi - Daihatsu Motor Co., LTD
- Mari Uenishi - Daihatsu Motor Co., LTD
- Isao Tan - Daihatsu Motor Co., LTD
- Hirohisa Tanaka - Daihatsu Motor Co., LTD
- Mareo Kimura - Cataler Corporation
- Yasuo Nishihata - Japan Atomic Energy Research Institute
- Jun'ichiro Mizuki - Japan Atomic Energy Research Institute
CitationTaniguchi, M., Uenishi, M., Tan, I., Tanaka, H. et al., "Thermal Properties of the Intelligent Catalyst," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1272, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1272.
- Tanaka H. Fujikawa H. Takahashi I. SAE Paper No. 930251 1993
- Tanaka H. Takahashi I. Kimura M. Sobukawa H. “ Science and Technology in Catalysis 1994 ” Kodansya-Elsevier 457 1994
- Tanaka H. Fujikawa H. Takahashi I. SAE Paper No. 950256 1995
- Tanaka H. Uenishi M. Tan I. Kimura M. Mizuki J. Nishihata Y. SAE Paper No. 2001-01-1301 2001
- Kajita N. Uenishi M. Tan I. Tanaka H. Kimura M. SAE Paper No. 2002-01-0735 2002
- Nishihata Y. Mizuki J. Tanaka H. Uenishi M. Kimura M. Okamoto T. Akao T. Hamada N. Nature 418 164 166 2002
- Tan I. Tanaka H. Uenishi M. Kajita N. Taniguchi M. Nishihata Y. Mizuki J. SAE Paper No. 2003-01-0812 2003
- Sato N. Tanaka H. Tan I. Uenishi M. Kajita N. Taniguchi M. Narita K. Kimura M. SAE Paper No. 2003-01-0813 2003