This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Transmission Gear Rattle Noise:Parametric Sensitivity Study
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper a new testing methodology has been developed to objectively measure the gear rattle noise. This kind of noise has become very important especially since car manufacturers have pointed their attention to the engine noise reduction. In fact, when efforts are focused to reduce engine noise, the gearbox noise becomes more audible.
This article describes the experimental analysis that has been made to measure transmission gear rattle noise on an innovative NVH (Noise, Vibration & Harshness) transmission test rig. Also, emphasis on the capability of the test rig set-up to decouple the gear rattle noise from other vehicle noises is presented. Using such set-up, the gear rattle problem is pronounced and, consequently, noise investigation becomes easier and objective unlike what happens in a vehicle or in the power train test cell.
In order to obtain reliable results from this test rig, its performance has been correlated to measurements performed on the car. A parametric sensitivity study of the transmission gear rattle noise is also presented in this paper. Moreover, the gear rattle has been measured objectively and subjectively, in SAE scale, using several engine speed fluctuations.
CitationForcelli, A., Grasso, C., and Pappalardo, T., "The Transmission Gear Rattle Noise:Parametric Sensitivity Study," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1225, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1225.
- Houser D. R. Gear Noise State of the Art 1988
- Bodden M. Heinrichs R. Analysis of the Time Structure of Gear Rattle 1999
- Bellomo P. De Vito, N. Lang, C.-H Scamardi L. In depth Study of vehicle power trains to identify causes of loose components rattle in transmissions Paper SAE Num. 02010702
- Forcelli A. Pappalardo T. Grasso C. An alternative to the subjective evaluation of the gear rattle for a manual transmission EIS Symposium on NVH Refinement-Tools, Techniques and Results Coventry, UK 2003
- Singh, R. Xie H. Comparin R. J. Analysis of Automotive Neutral Gear Rattle Journal of Sound and Vibration 1989 131 2 177 196
- Singh R. Xie H. Criteria for Gear Rattle Noise Source 1988
- Johnson Oliver Hirami Naotaka Diagnosis and objective evaluation of gear rattle Paper Sae Num. 911082
- Weisch G. Stuckischwaiger W. Mendoza de Mendonca A. Monteiro, N. T.S. Alves dos Santos L. The creation of a car interior noise quality index for the evaluation of rattle phenomena Paper SAE Num. 972018
- Bodden M. Sound Quality Evaluation of Interior Vehicle Noise Using an Efficient Psychoacoustic Method EuroNoise 1998
- Subjective Rating Scale for Vehicle Handling Standard SAE, J1441 1998