This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Accuracy of Crash Data Saved by Ford Restraint Control Modules in Lowcspeed Collisions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Crash data recorded by the restraint control module (RCM) installed in newer Ford passenger vehicles have recently become available to investigators. To quantify the accuracy of the crash data in low-speed collisions, two RCM-equipped vehicles were exposed to 84 aligned frontal barrier collisions with speed changes up to 13.5 km/h. The accuracy of the speed change reported by the RCM ranged from an underestimate of 1.8 km/h to an overestimate of 0.3 km/h. The error varied with speed change. The RCMs were mounted on a linear sled to investigate their sensitivity to specific collision pulse parameters. For both RCMs, the first eight acceleration data points were duplicated at the end of the data and the record of the crash pulse was often incomplete. Based on the results of this study, crash investigators need to carefully interpret the RCM-reported acceleration and speed change data before using it to reconstruct low-speed collisions involving Ford vehicles.
CitationWilkinson, C., Lawrence, J., Heinrichs, B., and Siegmund, G., "The Accuracy of Crash Data Saved by Ford Restraint Control Modules in Lowcspeed Collisions," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1214, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1214.
- Correia JT Iladis KA McCarron ES Smolej MA Utilizing data from automotive event data recorders Proceeding of the Canadian Multidisciplinary Road Safety Conference XII London, ON 2001
- King DJ Ptucha SJ Gardiner JMK Speed change determination in low speed impacts - a comparison of techniques (980023) Accident Reconstruction: Technology and Animation VIII (SP-1319) 61 69 Warrendale, PA Society of Automotive Engineers 1998
- Siegmund GP King DJ Montgomery DT Using barrier impact data to determine the speed change in aligned, low-speed vehicle-to-vehicle collisions (960887) Accident Reconstruction: Technology and Animation VI (SP-1150) 147 167 Warrendale, PA Society of Automotive Engineers 1996
- Lawrence JM Wilkinson CC King DJ Heinrichs BE Siegmund GP The accuracy and sensitivity of event data recorders in low-speed collisions ( 2002-01-0679 ) Advances in Safety Test Methodology (SP-1664) Warrendale, PA Society of Automotive Engineers 2002
- Lawrence JM Wilkinson CC King, DJ Heinrichs, BE Siegmund, GP The Accuracy of Pre-Crash Speed Captured by Event Data Recorders ( 2003-01-0889 ) Accident Reconstruction (SP-1773) Warrendale, PA Society of Automotive Engineers 2003