This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Fire Tests with High-Pressure Hydrogen Gas Cylinders for Evaluating the Safety of Fuel-Cell Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The high-pressure hydrogen gas cylinder of a fuel-cell vehicle is equipped with a pressure relief device (PRD) to prevent the rupture of the cylinder due to heating by fire. Flame exposure tests (bonfire tests) are conducted to evaluate the safety of the cylinder with the PRD, specifically, cylinder resistance to fire and performance of the PRD. In this study, however, fire tests of vehicles equipped with high-pressure cylinders were not required for this test method.
We implemented released-hydrogen flame tests by performing bonfire tests and fire tests on vehicles equipped with hydrogen-filled high-pressure gas cylinders (20,35MPa) to examine safety measures for fuel-cell vehicles. We then investigated the following: the characteristics of the released-hydrogen flame, radiation heat flux from the jet flame, combustion noise, the rate of pressure rise in the cylinder, the venting direction of the PRD, and behavior of fire in conjunction with a gasoline flame. The results demonstrate that it is necessary to specify the venting direction of the PRD, as well as the details of the shielding for PRD to be used to prevent direct flame impingement.
CitationTamura, Y., Suzuki, J., and Watanabe, S., "The Fire Tests with High-Pressure Hydrogen Gas Cylinders for Evaluating the Safety of Fuel-Cell Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1013, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-1013.
- Gas Cylinders - High pressure cylinders for the onboard storage of natural gas as a fuel for automotive vehicles - ISO 11439, 2000/9/15
- McCaffrey, B.J., Purely buoyant diffusion flames - Some experimental results, NBSIR79-1910, 1979
- Lees Frank P., Loss prevention in the process industries, Butterworth and Company, 1980
- GamboneR,, et al, Performance Testing of Pressure Relief Devices for NGV Cylinders, U.S.Depertment of Commerce,1997
- Thomas, P.H., et al, Some experiments on buoyant diffusion flames, Combustion and Flame, vol.5,1961
- Iwasaka Masaji, et al, Hazard of hydrogen jet flame, The high pressure gas, Vol.16,333,1974.(in Japanese)
- Takeno Keiji, et al., Experimental study on high-pressure hydrogen diffusion flame, 22th conference proceeding of the hydrogen energy system society of Japan,2003.(in Japanese)
- Tamura Yohsuke, et al., Evaluation of the high-pressure hydrogen gas cylinders in simulated FCEV fires, JARI Research Journal, Vol.24,No.10,2002.(in Japanese)