This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Disc-Pad Interaction Related to Brake Squeal
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The objective of this paper is to investigate the influence of the non-linearity and time dependence of friction force between disc and pads on the generation of low and high frequency squeal. For this purpose, a non-linear mathematical model of a disc-pad system, that includes the transverse (out-of-plane) and circumferential (in-plane) motions, is developed. The contact normal pressure includes a non-uniform distribution and is represented by a non-linear function of the relative displacement (penetration) of the disc and pad. Friction is assumed as a distributed follower-type force nonlinearly dependent on the relative velocity. Deterministic and random friction coefficient is considered. Numerical simulations reveal a modulated-intermittent response of both disc and pad. It is found that the frequency component corresponding to circumferential vibrations of the disc is always dominant in the case of deterministic friction. However, random friction creates impulsive forces that excite the transverse mode and has little effect on circumferential vibrations.
CitationBeloiu, D. and Ibrahim, R., "Disc-Pad Interaction Related to Brake Squeal," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0826, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0826.
ABS/TCS, Brake Technology and Foundation Brake NVH, and Tire and Wheel Technology
Number: SP-1866 ; Published: 2004-03-08
Number: SP-1866 ; Published: 2004-03-08
- Ibrahim, R.A., Friction-Induced Vibration, Chater, Squeal and Chaos, Part II: Dynamics and Modeling, ASME Applied Mechanics Review 47(7), 227-253, 1994.
- Kinkaid, N.M., O'Reilly, O.M. and Papadopoulos, P., Automotive Disc Brake Squeal: A Review, Journal of Sound and Vibration (in print), 2003.
- Ouyang, H., Nack, W., Yuan, Y., and Chen, F., On Automotive Disc Brake Squeal Part II: Simulation and Analysis, SAE 2003-01-0684, 2003.
- Mote, C. D., Stability of Circular Plates Subjected to Moving Loads, Journal of Franklin Inst. 290, 329-344, 1970.
- Iwan, W.D. and Moeller, T.L., The Stability of Spinning Elastic Disk With a Transverse Load System, ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 43, 485-90, 1976.
- Chan, S. N., Mottershead, J. E.and Cartmell, M. P., “Parametric Resonances at Subcritical Speeds in Discs with Rotating Friction Loads, Proc. of Institute of Mechanical Engineers 208(C), 417-425, 1994.
- Mottershead, J. E., and Chan, S. N., Flutter Instability of Circular Discs with Frictional Follower Loads, ASME J. of Vibration and Acoustics 117, 161-163, 1995.
- Tseng, J. G. and Wickert, J. A., On the Vibration of Bolted Plate and Flange Assemblies, Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 116(4), 468-473, 1994.
- Ouyang, H., Mottershead, J.E., Brookfield, D.J., James and Cartmell, M.P., A Methodology for the determination of Dynamic Instabilities in a Car Disc Brake, International Journal of Vehicle Design, 23(3/4), 241-262, 2000.
- Ouyang, H., and Mottershead, J.A., A moving-load model for Disk Brake Stability Analysis, ASME Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, 125(1), 1-6, 2003.
- Flint, J., The Effect of Distributed Parameters Examined in a Model for Simulation of Disc Brake Squeal, SAE Paper 2000-01-2766, 2000.
- Hultén, J. and Flint, J., An Assumed Modes Method Approach to Disc Brake Squeal Analysis, SAE 1999-01-1335, 1999.
- Mindlin, R.D., Deresiewicz, H., Thickness-Shear and Flexural Vibrations of a Circular Disc, ASME Journal of Applied Physics 23, 1329-1332, 1954.
- Chen, F, Chen S.-E. and Harwood, P, In-Plane Mode/Friction Process & Their Contribution to Disk Brake Squeal at High Frequency, SAE 2000-01-2773, 2000.
- Chen, F, Chern, J. and Swayze, J., Modal Coupling and Its Effect on Brake Squeal, SAE 2002-01-0922, 2002.
- Qiao, S.L. and Ibrahim, R.A., Stochastic Dynamics of Systems with Friction-Induced Vibration, Journal of Sound and Vibration 223(1), 115-140, 1999.
- Kilburn, R. F., Friction Viewed as a Random Process, Journal Lubrication Technology 96, 291-299, 1974.
- Aronov, V., D'Souza, A. F., Kalpakjian, S. and Shareef, I., Experimental Investigation of the Effect of System Rigidity on Wear and Friction-Induced Vibrations, ASME Journal of Lubrication Technology 105, 206-211, 1983.
- Ibrahim, R. A., Zielke, S. A.and Popp, K., Characterization of Interfacial Forces in Metal-to-Metal Contact under Harmonic Excitation, Journal of Sound and Vibration 220(2), 365-377, 1999.
- Loh, W.Y., Basch, R.H., Li, D., and Sanders, P., Dynamic Modeling of Brake Friction Coefficients, SAE 2000-01-2753, 2000.
- Guangxiong, C., Zhongrong, Z., Kapsa, P., and Vincent, L., Effect of Surface Topography on Formation of Squeal Under reciprocating Sliding, Wear, 253(2002), 411-423, 2002.
- Ibrahim, R.A., Madhavan S., Qiao, S.L.and Chang, W.K., Experimental Investigation of Friction-Induced Noise in Disc Brake Systems, International Journal of Vehicle Design 23(3/4), 218-240, 2000.
- Qiao, S. L., and Ibrahim, A., Characterization of Friction-Induced Vibration in Disc Brakes, Proc IUTAM Symposium on Nonlinear Stochastic Dynamics, Urbana Chapaign, August 26-30, 2002.
- Kerr, A.D., Elastic and Viscoelastic Foundation Models, ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, September, 491-498, 1964.
- Irie, T., Yamada, G. and Takagi, K., Natural Frequencies of a Thick Annular Plates, Journal of Applied Mechanics 49, 633-638, 1982.
- Liew, K.M., Xiang, Y., Wang, C.M.and Kitipornchai, S., Flexural Vibration of Shear Deformable Circular and Annular Plates on Ring Support, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 110(1993), 301-315, 1993.
- Chung, J., Oh, J.-E. and Yoo, H.H., Non-linear Vibration of a Flexible Spinning Disc with Angular Acceleration, Journal of Sound and Vibration 231(2), 375-391, 2000.
- Brokley, C.A. and Ko, P.L., Quasi-Harmonic Friction-Induced Vibration, ASME J. Lubr. Technology 92(4), 550-556, 1970.
- Feeny, B.F. and Moon, F.C., Autocorelation on Symbol Dynamics for a Chaotic Dry-friction Oscillator, Phys. Lett. 141A (8,9), 397-400, 1989.