This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Graphical Representation of Road Profile Characteristics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Load data representing severe customer usage is required during the chassis development process. One area of current research is the use of road profiles for predicting chassis loads. The most direct method of predicting these loads is to run dynamic simulations of the vehicle using numerous road profiles as the excitation. This onerous task may be avoided, and a greatly reduced number of simulations would be required, if roads having similar characteristics can be grouped. Currently, road profiles are characterized by their spectral content. It has been noted by several researches, however, that road profiles are generally nonstationary signals that contain significant transient events and are not well described in the spectral domain. The objective of this work, then, is to develop a method by which the characteristics of the road can be captured by describing these constitutive transient events. Additionally, the representation developed in this work lends itself to a graphical characterization of the road profile. This allows the characteristics of a road to be immediately apparent by inspection. The insight gained from this representation is clearly demonstrated through examples. The implications of using this graphical representation are then discussed in terms of chassis load prediction, the chassis development process, and durability test schedule development. The graphical representation developed in this work allows the characteristics of road profiles to be quickly compared, to scrutinize differences in the nature of road profiles, and to group roads with similar characteristics.
|Technical Paper||Plausibility Checking of Road Profile Measurements|
|Technical Paper||Spindle Load Application for NVH CAE Models by Using Principal Vector Approach|
CitationFrinkle, M., Weir, R., and Ferris, J., "A Graphical Representation of Road Profile Characteristics," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0769, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0769.
- Ferris, J. B. Larsen, J. L. 2002 “Establishing Chassis Reliability Testing Targets Based on Road Roughness,” International Journal of Materials & Product Technology Vol. 17 5/6 453 461
- “Standard Terminology Relating to Traveled Surface Characteristics,” 1995 ASTM E867-95a
- Gillespie, T. D. Sayers, M. Segel, L. 1980 “Calibration of Response-Type Road Roughness Measuring Systems,” Final Report, National Cooperative Research Program Report 228
- Hveem, F. N. 1960 “Devices for Recording and Evaluating Pavement Roughness,” Highway Research Board Bulletin 264 1 26
- Spangler, E. B. Kelly, W. J. 1962 “Servo-Seismic Method of Measuring Road Profiles,” Highway Research Board Bulletin 328 33 51
- Spangler, E. B. Kelly, W. J. 1966 “GMR Road Profilometer — A Method for Measuring Road Profile,” Highway Research Record 121 27 54
- Mimuro, T. Maemura, T. 1990 “Road Profile Measuring System Using Laser Displacement Sensors,” JSAE Review Vol. 11 4 76 81
- Mimuro, T. Maemura, T. Fujii, H. 1992 “Development and Application of the Road Profile Measuring System,” SAE paper 92MJA260 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA
- Dixon, J. C. 1996 Tires, Suspension, and Handling Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 47 49
- Gillespie, T. D. 1985 Heavy Truck Ride, SP-607 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 14 16
- Gillespie, T. D. 1992 Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. Warrendale, PA 126 132
- Dodds, C. J. Robson, J. D. 1973 “The Description of Road Surface Roughness,” Journal of Sound and Vibration Vol. 31 2 175 183
- David J. Gorsich, D. J. Chaika, M. Gunter, D. Karlsen, R. Haueisen, B. Sun, T. Ferris, J. B. 2003 “Terrain Roughness Standards for Mobility and Ultra-Reliability Prediction,” Proceedings of the SAE World Congress SAE Detroit, MI
- Ferris, J. B. 2001 “Singular Value Decomposition of Road Events into Characteristic Shapes,” Proceedings of the ASME International Congress and Exposition ASME New York, NY
- Bannantine, J. A. Comer, J. J. Handrock, J. L. Fundamentals of Metal Fatigue Analysis Prentice Hall Englewood Cliffs, NJ 189 196