This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Location of the First Auto-Ignition Sites for Two HCCI Systems in a Direct Injection Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 8, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
To elucidate the processes controlling the auto-ignition timing and overall combustion duration in homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) engines, the distribution of the auto-ignition sites, in both space and time, was studied. The auto-ignition locations were investigated using optical diagnosis of HCCI combustion, based on laser induced fluorescence (LIF) measurements of formaldehyde in an optical engine with fully variable valve actuation. This engine was operated in two different modes of HCCI. In the first, auto-ignition temperatures were reached by heating the inlet air, while in the second, residual mass from the previous combustion cycle was trapped using a negative valve overlap. The fuel was introduced directly into the combustion chamber in both approaches.
To complement these experiments, 3-D numerical modeling of the gas exchange and compression stroke events was done for both HCCI-generating approaches. The STAR CD code was applied to predict the distributions of the local mixture temperature, residual gas fraction (RGF) and equivalence ratio throughout the cylinder at the end of the compression stroke. Knowledge of these distributions is important as they are strongly affect the ignition timing and burn duration of the HCCI combustion. Selected points from the calculated distribution maps were used as initial conditions for 0-D detailed-chemistry calculations, using the SENKIN code to identify combinations of properties that lead to first auto-ignition. Tracing corresponding points back to the STAR CD mesh gave information about the location of the auto-ignition sites. Results obtained in this way corresponded well to the auto-ignition locations derived from optical measurements.
CitationKoopmans, L., Wallesten, J., Ogink, R., and Denbratt, I., "Location of the First Auto-Ignition Sites for Two HCCI Systems in a Direct Injection Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0564, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0564.
Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (Hcci) Combustion 2004
Number: SP-1819; Published: 2004-03-08
Number: SP-1819; Published: 2004-03-08
- Najt, P.M., Foster, D.E., “Compression-Ignited Homogeneous Charge Combustion”, SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE paper 830264, 1983.
- Thring, R.H., “Homogeneous-Charge Compression Ignition Engines”, SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE paper 892068, 1989.
- Koopmans, L., Denbratt, I., “A Four Stroke Camless Engine, Operated in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Mode with Commercial Gasoline”, SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE paper 2001-01-3610, 2001.
- Willand, J., Nieberding, R.G., Vent, G., Enderle, C., “The knocking syndrome - its cure and its potential”, SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE paper 982483, 1998.
- Kontarakis G., Collings N., Ma, T., “Demonstration of HCCI Using a Single Cylinder Four-stroke SI Engine with Modified Valve Timing”, SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE paper 2000-01-2870, 2000.
- Law, D., Kemp, D., Allen, J., Kirkpatrick, G., Copland, T., “Controlled Combustion in an IC-Engine with a Fully Variable Valve Train”, SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE paper 2000-01-0251, 2000.
- Koopmans, L., Ogink, R., Denbratt, I., “Direct Gasoline Injection in the Negative Valve Overlap of a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine”, JSAE, SAE Technical Paper Series, JSAE paper 20030195, SAE paper 2003-01-1854, 2003.
- Urushihara, T., Hiraya, K., Kakuhou, A., Itoh, T., “Expansion of HCCI Operating Region by the Combination of Direct Fuel Injection, Negative Valve Overlap and Internal Fuel Reformation”, SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE paper 2003-01-0749, 2003
- Koopmans, L., Ogink, R., Denbratt, I., “Visualization (PLIF) of Intermediates Generated in the Negative Valve Overlap of an HCCI Operated Engine”, Proceedings of the Joint Meeting of the Scandinavian-Nordic and Italian Sections of the Combustion Institute, Ishia (Napoli), September 18- 21, 2003.
- Ogink, R., Golovitchev, V., “Gasoline HCCI Modeling: An Engine Cycle Simulation Code with a Multi-Zone Combustion Model”, SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE paper 2002-01-1745, 2001.
- Ogink, R., Golovitchev, V., “Gasoline HCCI Modeling: Computer Program Combining Detailed Chemistry and Gas Exchange Processes”, SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE paper 2001-01-3614, 2001.
- Christensen, M., Johansson, B., “Influence of Mixture Quality on Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition”, SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE paper 982454, 1998
- Dec, J.E., “A Computational Study of the Effects of Low Fuel Loading and EGR on Heat Release Rates and Combustion Limits in HCCI Engines”, SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE paper 2002-01-1309, 2002.
- Kelly-Zion, P.L., Dec, J.E., “A Computational Study of The Effect Of Fuel Type on Ignition Time in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engines”, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, Volume 28, 2000/pp. 1187-1194.
- Babajimopoulos, A., Assanis, D.N., Fiveland, S.B., “An Approach for Modeling the Effects of Gas Exchange Processes on HCCI Combustion and Its Application in Evaluating Variable Valve Timing Control Strategies”, SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE paper 2002-01-2829, 2002.
- Babajimopoulos, A., Lavoie, G.A., Assanis, D.N. “Numerical Modeling of the Effects of Temperature and Composition Stratification on HCCI Combustion for High Levels of Residual Gas Fraction”, Proceedings of the ICE2003 6th International Conference on Engines for Automobiles, SAE_NA paper 2003-01-41, 2003.
- Hultquist, A., Christensen, M., Johansson, B., Richter, M., Nygren, J., Hult, J., Aldén. M., “The HCCI Combustion Process in a Single Cycle - High- Speed Fuel Tracer LIF and Chemiluminescence Imaging”, SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE paper 2002-01-0424, 2002.
- Richter, M., Engström, J., Franke, A., Aldén, M., Hultquist, A., Johansson, B., “The Influence of Charge Inhomogeneity on the HCCI Combustion Process”, SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE paper 2000-01-2868, 2000.
- Graf, N., Gronki, J., Schulz, C., Baritaud, T., Cherel, J., Duret, P., Lavy, J., “In-Cylinder Combustion Visualization in an Auto-Igniting Gasoline Engine using Fuel Tracer- and Formaldehyde-LIF Imaging”, SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE paper 2001-01- 1924, 2001.
- Brackmann, C., Nygren, J., Bai, X., Zhongshan, L., Bladh, H., Axelsson, B., Denbratt, I., Koopmans, L., Bengtsson, P.E., Aldén, M., “Laser-induced Fluorescence of Formaldehyde in Combustion Using Third-Harmonic Nd:YAG Laser Excitation”, Spectrochimica Acta Part A, Elsevier, 2003.
- Koopmans, L., Backlund, O., and Denbratt, I., Cycle to Cycle Variations: Their Influence on Cycle Resolved Gas Temperature and Unburned Hydrocarbons from a Camless Gasoline Compression Ignition Engine, SAE Technical Paper Series, SAE Paper 2002-01-0110, 2002.
- Lutz, A., Kee, R. and Miller, J., SENKIN, SANDIA National Laboratories, 1994.