This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CFD Modeling of a Vortex Induced Stratification Combustion (VISC) System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the CFD modeling work conducted for the development and research of a Vortex Induced Stratification Combustion (VISC) system that demonstrated superior fuel economy benefits. The Ford in-house CFD code and simulation methodology were employed. In the VISC concept a vortex forms on the outside of the wide cone angle spray and transports fuel vapor from the spray to the spark plug gap. A spray model for an outward-opening pintle injector used in the engine was developed, tested, and implemented in the code. Modeling proved to be effective for design optimization and analysis. The CFD simulations revealed important physical phenomena associated with the spray-guided combustion system mixing preparation. This paper presents the effect of various parameters such as piston shape, injector axial position, spark plug axial position, swirl control valve (SCV), exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) on mixture formation that affects the combustion, misfire rate, and stability in stratified-charge operation. A smoke correlation based on the amount of piston wetting and the amount of vapor in the rich regions will also be presented together with the effect of the piston shape, manifold absolute pressure (MAP), and split injection on smoke emissions in stratified-charge operation. The mixture preparation in homogeneous-charge operation in the current VISC system with a centrally mounted injector will be compared to the mixture preparation in a wall-guided system with a side-mounted injector.
CitationIyer, C., Han, Z., and Yi, J., "CFD Modeling of a Vortex Induced Stratification Combustion (VISC) System," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0550, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0550.
- Zhao F-Q. Lai M-C. Harrington D.L. “A Review of Mixture Preparation and Combustion Control Strategies for Spark-Ignited Direct-Injection Gasoline Engines” SAE Paper 970627 1997
- Kume T. Iwamoto Y. Iida K. Murakami M. Akishino K. Ando H. “Combustion Control Technologies for Direct Injection SI Engine” SAE Paper 960600 1996
- VanDerWege B. A. Han Z. Iyer C. O. Muñoz R. H. Yi J. “Development and Analysis of a Spray-Guided DISI Combustion System Concept” Paper 03FFL-71, SAE Meeting 2003
- Amsden A.A. “KIVA-3V: A Block-Structured KIVA Program for Engines with Vertical or Canted Valves” Los Alamos National Laboratory Report LA-13313-MS 1997
- Amsden A.A. “KIVA-3V, Release 2: Improvements to KIVA-3V” Los Alamos National Laboratory Report LA-13608-MS 1999
- Han Z. Xu Z. Trigui N. “Spray/Wall Interaction Models for Multidimensional Engine Simulation,” Int. J. of Engine Research 1 127 146 2000
- Iyer C.O. Han Z. “Fuel Spray Modeling of Outward-Opening Pintle Injectors” ILASS Americas, 15 th Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems Madison, WI May 2002
- Han, Z. Parrish, S. Farell, P.V. Reitz, R.D. “Modeling Atomization Process of Pressure Swirl Hollow-Cone Fuel Sprays” Atomization and Sprays 7 663 684 1997
- Han, Z. Xu, Z. Wooldridge, S.T. Yi J. Lavoie “Modeling of DISI Engine Sprays with Comparison to Experimental In-Cylinder Spray Images” SAE 2001-01-3667 2001
- O'Rourke, P.J. Amsden, A.A. “The TAB Method for Numerical Calculation of Spray Droplet Breakup” SAE Paper 872089 1987
- Lefevbre, A.H. Atomization and Sprays Hemisphere New York 1989
- York, J.L. Stubbs, H.F. Tek, M.R. Trans. ASME 75 1279 1286 1953
- Rayleigh, Lord Proc. London Math. Soc. 10 4 13 1878
- Lambiris, S. Combs, L.P. Detonation and Two Phase Flow, Prog. Astronaut Rocketry 6 269 304 1962
- Han Z. Yi J. Trigui N. “Stratified Mixture Formation and Piston Surface Wetting in a DISI Engine” SAE paper 2002-01-2655 2002
- Yi J. Han Z. Yang J. Anderson R. Trigui N. Boussarsar R. “Modeling of the Interaction of Intake Flow and Fuel Spray in DISI Engines,” SAE paper 2000-01-0656 2000
- Yi J. Han Z. Trigui N. , “ Fuel-Air Mixing Homogeneity and Performance Improvements of a Stratified-Charge DISI Combustion System” SAE 2002-01-2656 2002