This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of a Direct-Injected Stratified Charge Combustion System Using Tracer PLIF
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A PLIF measurement system was designed and applied for imaging direct-injected stratified charge fuel preparation. An extensive measurement plane was achieved through novel design features in the system. Measurement and processing uncertainties were assessed at ±15% for the semi-quantitative fuel density. Tracer selection among suggested iso-octane candidates was found not to have a significant effect on PLIF results under the conditions tested. Stratified charge fuel distribution images were acquired for three piston and fuel injector combinations. The effect of piston design in guiding the fuel mixture position was most notable. Fuel distribution features correlated reasonably well with measured data from a thermodynamic engine of similar design.
CitationMcGee, J., Alger, T., Blobaum, E., and Wooldridge, S., "Evaluation of a Direct-Injected Stratified Charge Combustion System Using Tracer PLIF," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0548, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0548.
- Berckmuller M. Tait N.P. Greenhalgh D.A. “The Time History of the Mixture Formation Process in a Lean Burn Stratified-Charge Engine,” SAE Paper 961929 1996
- Fujikawa T. Hattori Y. Akihama K. “Quantitative 2-D Fuel Distribution Measurements in an SI Engine Using Laser-Induced Fluorescence with Suitable Combination of Fluorescence Tracer and Excitation Wavelength,” SAE Paper 972944 1997
- Einecke S. Schulz C. Sick V. “Measurement of Temperature, Fuel Concentration and Equivalence Ratio Fields using Tracer LIF in IC Engine Combustion,” Applied Physics B 71 717 723 2000
- Tong K. Quay B.D. Zello J.V. Santavicca D.A. “Fuel Volatility Effects on Mixture Preparation and Performance in a GDI Engine During Cold Start,” SAE Paper 2001-01-3650 2001
- Han D. Steeper R.R “Examination of Iso-octane/Ketone Mixtures for Quantitative LIF Measurements in a DISI Engine,” SAE Paper 2002-01-0837 2002
- LeCoz J.-F. Catalano C. Baritaud T. “Application of Laser-Induced Fluorescence for Measuring the Thickness of Liquid Films on Transparent Walls,” 7th International Symposium on Applications of Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics Lisbon, Portugal 1994
- Han Z. Weaver C. Wooldridge S. Alger T. Hilditch J. Kenny T. McGee J. Westrate B. Xu Z. Yi J. Chen X. Trigui N. Davis G. “Development of a New Light Stratified-Charge DISI Combustion System for a Family of Engines with Upfront CFD Coupling with Thermal and Optical Engine Experiments,” SAE Paper 2004-01-0545 2004
- Steeper R.R. Stevens E.J. “Characterization of Combustion, Piston Temperature, Fuel Sprays, and Fuel-Air Mixing in a DISI Optical Engine,” SAE Paper 2000-01-2900 2000
- Tait N.P. Greenhalgh D.A. “PLIF Imaging of Fuel Fraction in Practical Devices and LII Imaging of Soot,” Ber.Bunsenges. Phys. Chem. 97 1619 1997
- Grossman F. Monkhouse P.B. Ridder M. Sick V. Wolfrum J. “Temperature and Pressure Dependences of the Laser-Induced Fluorescence of Gas-Phase Acetone and 3-Pentanone,” Applied Physics B 62 249 253 1996
- Ghandhi J.B. Felton P.G. “On the Fluorescent Behavior of Ketones at High Temperatures,” Experiments in Fluids 21 143 144 1996