This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
ADVANCED SEPARATION OF PLASTICS FROM SHREDDER RESIDUE
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The United States Council of Automotive Research (USCAR) under the Vehicle Recycling Partnership (VRP) along with our collaborators Argonne National Laboratory (ANL), American Plastic Council (APC) and the Association of Plastic Manufactures in Europe (APME) has been conducting research on automated recovery of plastics from shredder residue. A Belgium company Salyp NV located in Ypres, Belgium has been contracted by the VRP to demonstrate a recovery process that can separate several plastic types including polyurethane foam out of the shredder residue waste stream. One hundred metric tons of shredder residue was supplied from three different metal recycling companies (shredders) including a US metal recycler as well as two different European metal recyclers/shredders. This shredder residue was evaluated and processed by Salyp. This paper explains the separation processes along with processing efficiencies, material characterization, mass balances and the amount of plastics recovered. Results of a plastic testing phase are also reported, along with a molding evaluation by an automotive supplier Collins & Aikman, which molded several automotive parts.
- Gerald R. Winslow - VRP/USCAR (KBS Consulting Engineering)
- Ivan Vanherpe - Salyp NV
- Claudia M. Duranceau - VRP/USCAR (Ford Motor Company)
- Michael M. Fisher - American Plastics Council
- Nakia L. Simon - VRP/USCAR (DaimlerChrysler)
- Ronald L. Williams - VRP/USCAR (General Motors)
- Candace S. Wheeler - VRP/USCAR (General Motors)
- Axel Kistenmacher - Association of Plastics Manufactures in Europe
CitationWinslow, G., Simon, N., Duranceau, C., Williams, R. et al., "ADVANCED SEPARATION OF PLASTICS FROM SHREDDER RESIDUE," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0469, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0469.
- Winslow Gerald Kolber Ronald Duranceau Claudia “Recovery of Selected Engineering Plastics from Automotive Shredder Using Skin Flotation Technology,” SAE 1999-01-0663
- Hock Helmut Maten Allen, Jr. “A Preliminary Study of the Recovery and Recycling of Automotive Plastics,” SAE 930561
- Winslow Gerald Duranceau Claudia Williams Ronald “Advanced Separation of Plastics from Shredder Residue” IdentiPlas 2003
- Winslow Gerald Mitchell James Bahm Lawrence “Care Car II Using Recycled Plastics from Shredder Residue,” GPEC 2002
- Day Michael “Auto Shredder Residues - A Waste of a Valuable Resource” SAE 930562
- Abell Richard Conant Mark “Battery Tray Molded from Recycled Plastics Recovered from Shredder Residue,” GPEC 2003
- Winslow Gerald Yester Susan Ang Leo Parkinson Frank Bittle Michael Paxton Blane “Plastics Material Separation on Vehicle Subsystems,” SAE 970414
- Liu Shawn Winslow Gerald Yester Susan Gromek Gregory Grouch Alan Sendijarevic Vahid “Shredding of Late Model Chrysler Vehicles; ASR Sample Collection and Characterization,” SAE 980480
- Winslow Gerald Liu Shawn Yester Susan “Study of Plastic Material Recovery From Shredder Residue” SAE 980093