This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Acoustic Design Procedure for Intake Systems: 1D Analysis and Experimental Validation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper details recent results concerning the design of a new intake system for a 1.4 liter displacement ELASIS-FIAT engine. A classical approach, based on theoretical one-dimensional characterization of the whole system, is presented. This approach, however, requires a relevant number of geometrical information which are usually unavailable in the first phase of the design process.
For this reason, a statistical analysis on a number of existing devices was also carried out to the aim of providing such initial data as a function of prescribed levels of pressure losses and noise emission for the device.
The methodology allows then to define a base configuration of the system, to start the 1D analyses. The base geometry is further refined taking into account the layout constraints and the presence of resonators for the reduction of the noise emission.
Experimental data collected on a prototype of the designed system have confirmed the robustness of the whole design procedure.
|Technical Paper||Simulation of a COMPREX® Pressure Exchanger in a 1-D Code|
|Technical Paper||EGR - A Challenge for Modern Plastic Intake Manifolds|
|Technical Paper||Optimization and Validation of Exhaust Tailpipe Noise for Passenger Car|
- F. Bozza - Dipartimento di Ingegneria Meccanica per I'Energetica - Università di Napoli “Federico II”
- A. Gimelli - Dipartimento di Ingegneria Meccanica per I'Energetica - Università di Napoli “Federico II”
- R. Curion - Mechanical Engineer - Fluid-Dynamic Consultant
- V. Pianese - Elasis S.C.p.A. - Pomigliano d'Arco
- S. De Martino - Elasis S.C.p.A. - Pomigliano d'Arco
CitationBozza, F., Gimelli, A., Pianese, V., De Martino, S. et al., "An Acoustic Design Procedure for Intake Systems: 1D Analysis and Experimental Validation," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0412, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0412.
SAE 2004 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars: Mechanical Systems
Number: V113-6; Published: 2005-07-05
Number: V113-6; Published: 2005-07-05
- Winterbone D.E. Pearson R.J. “Design Techniques for Engine Manifolds. Wave Action Methods for IC Engines” Professional Engineering Publishing 1999 1 86058 179
- Onorati A. “Nonlinear Fluid Dynamic Modeling of Reactive Silencers Involving Extended Inlet/Outlet and Perforated Ducts” Noise Control Eng. J. 45 1 Jan-Feb 1997
- Ferrari G. Onorati A. “A white Noise Approach for Rapid Gas Dynamic Modelling of I.C. Engine Silencers” 3 rd IMechE International Conference “Computers in reciprocating engines and gas turbines” 9-10 January 1996 London
- Blair G. P. “Design and Simulation of Four -Stroke Engines” 1999 SAE 0-7680-0440-3
- Benson R.S. The thermodynamics and Gas Dynamics of Internal Combustion Engines 1 Horlock J.H. Winterbone D.E. Clarendon Press Oxford 1982
- Silvestri J. J. Morel T. Costello M. “Study of Intake System Wave Dynamics and Acoustics by Simulation and Experiment” SAE Paper 940206 1994
- GT-Power, User's Manual and Tutorial, GT-SUITE™ Version 6.0 March 2003 Gamma Technologies
- Wave, User's Manual 2002 Ricardo
- Boost, User's Manual 2003 AVL
- Onorati A. Ferrari G. D'Errico G. “Secondary Air Injection in the Exhaust After-Treatment System of S.I. Engines: 1D Fluid Dynamic Modeling and Experimental Investigation” SAE Paper 2003-01-0366 , 2003 SAE World Congress Detroit March 2003 “Modeling of SI Engines” , SAE SP-1745 0-7680-1168-X
- Bozza F. Gimelli A. Senatore A. Caraceni A. “A Theoretical Comparison of Various VVA Systems for Performance and Emission Improvements of SI Engines” SAE Paper 2001-01-0671 2001 “Variable Valve Actuation 2001” , SAE SP-1599, ISBN 0-7680-0746 -1
- Bozza F. Gimelli A. Tuccillo R. “The Control of a VVA Equipped SI-Engine Operation by Means of 1D Simulation and Mathematical Optimization” SAE Paper 2002-01-1107 2002 SAE World Congress Detroit March 2002 “Variable Valve Actuation 2002” SAE SP-1692, ISBN 0-7680-0960-X
- Bozza F. Torella E. “The Employment of 1D Simulation Model for A/F Ratio Control in a VVT Engine” SAE Paper 2003-01-0027 2003 SAE World Congress Detroit March 2003 “Variable Valve Actuation 2003” , SAE SP-1752, ISBN 0 -7680 -1175 -2
- Harten, A. “On a Class of High Resolution Total Variation Stable Finite Difference Schemes” Journal of Computational Physics 21 21 23 1984
- Miller, D.S. “Internal Flow Systems” nd 0 947711 77 5