This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Durability of a Compact Dual-Cavity Full-Toroidal IVT Variator
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Whilst infinitely variable traction drive transmissions (IVT) have demonstrated the potential to provide significant fuel economy benefits through the optimisation of the vehicle powertrain, greater emphasis is now being placed on reducing the overall package size. Reduced transmission size places increased demands on the ability of the variator elements in the transmission to withstand the heavily loaded contact conditions. Described in this paper are the models and methodology used to size an IVT transmission from a design life view point. In addition, selection of the variator design parameters in order to optimise the durability are outlined. Relevant experimental results from rig tests are presented which demonstrate the ability of a compact IVT design to meet the life targets for a typical SUV vehicle.
|Technical Paper||Optimization of Gear Whine, Efficiency, and Durability of a Manual Transaxle|
|Technical Paper||A Method for Rapid Durability Test Development|
|Technical Paper||Toyota's New Integrated Drive Power Control System|
CitationLee, A. and Newall, J., "Durability of a Compact Dual-Cavity Full-Toroidal IVT Variator," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0353, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0353.
SAE 2004 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars: Mechanical Systems
Number: V113-6 ; Published: 2005-07-05
Number: V113-6 ; Published: 2005-07-05
- Burke, M., Briffet, G., Fuller, J., Heuman, H. and Newall, J., Powertrain Efficiency Optimisation of the Torotrak Infinitely Variable Transmission (IVT), SAE 2003-01-0971
- Burtt, D and James, I., Use of System Design Techniques in the Optimisation of Integrated Powertrains Incorporating an IVT, SAE Temp Paper No. 04AC-23
- Fellows, T.G., and Greenwood, C.J., The Design and Development of an Experimental Traction Drive CVT for a 2.0 Litre FWD Passenger Car, SAE Paper No. 910408, 1991.
- Greenwood, C.J., Patterson, M.J.G., and Winter, P.D., Comparison of CVT Starting Device Effectiveness, Autotech UK(IMechE) C462/13/112 Nov. 1993.
- Patterson, M.J.G., The Full Toroidal Variator in Theory and in Practice, JAE CVT'96 Conference Yokohama, Sept 1996
- Heuman, H., Briffet, G., Burke, M., Field, M., Fuller, J., Lee, A.P. and Newall, J.P., System Efficiency Optimisation of the Torotrak Infinitely Variable Transmission (IVT), VDI-Berichte Nr. 1709, 2002
- Cahn-Speyer, P., Mechanical Infinitely Variable Speed Drives' The Engineer's Digest, Feb. 1957; Vol. 18; No. 2; pp.41-65.
- Sloan. A.P. Jr., My Years with General Motors, edited by McDonald J. and Stevens K.; Doubleday, 1963; pp. 472.
- Carson R. W., Focus on Traction Drives: 100 years of Traction Drives, Power Transmission Design; Vol. 17, No. 9, May 1975, pp. 84-88.
- Tanaka, H. and Machida, H., Half-Toroidal Traction-Drive Continuously Variable Power Transmission, Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs. Vol. 210, 1996
- Machida, H. and Aihara, S., State of the Art of the Traction Drive CVT Applied to Automobiles, Proc. 17th Leeds-Lyon Symposium on Tribology, Butterworths, 1990, pp.267-275.
- Emamdjomeh, N., Machida, H. and Murakami, Y., Fatigue Life of Rolling Elements for Toroidal CVT, 1st International IIR-Symposium Innovative Automotive Transmissions, Offenbach am Main, Germany
- Lee A.P, Newall, J.P., Ono, Y. Hoshino, T., Developing the Durability of a Dual-Cavity Full-Toroidal IVT Variator, SAE 2002-01-0587
- Rohn, D.A., Loewenthal, S.H. and Coy, J.J., Simplified Fatigue Life Analysis for Traction Drive Contacts, ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 103, April 1981, pp.430-439.
- Lundberg, G. and Palmgren, A., Dynamic Capacity of Rolling Bearings, Acta. Polytechnica 7, Mech. Engr Deries, Vol. 1, No. 3, Stockholm, Sweden, 1947.
- Tallian, T.E., Failure Atlas for Hertz Contact Machine Elements, ASME 1992 Press New York
- Barnsby, R., Harris, T., loannides, S., Littmann, W., Losche, T., Murakami, Y., Needelman, W., Nixon, H. and Webster, M., Life Ratings for Modern Rolling Bearings, ASME Paper 98-TRIB-57, Presented at the ASME/STLE Tribology Conference, Toronto (October 26, 1998)
- Tripp, J.H. and loannides, E., Effects of Surface Roughness on Rolling Bearing Life. Proc. Japan International Tribology Conference, Nagoya, Japan pp 797-802.
- Tallian, T., On Competing Failure Modes in Rolling Contact, ASLE Trans, 10 418-439 (1967)
- loannides, E. and Harris, T.A., A New Fatigue Life Model for Rolling Bearings, ASME Trans., Journal of Trib. July 1995, Vol. 107, pp. 367-377
- Voskamp, A., Material Response to Rolling Contact Loading, ASME Paper 84-TRIB-2 (1984)
- Ono, Y., Goto, M., Yamashita, R., Lee, A.P. and Greenwood, C.J., The Durability and Reliability of Variators for a Dual-Cavity Full-Toroidal CVT, SAE Paper 2000-01-0826
- Newall, J. P. and Lee, A. P., Measurement and Prediction of Spin Losses in the EHL Point Contacts of the Full Toroidal Variator, Proc. 30th Leeds-Lyon Symposium on Tribology, 2003
- Tenberge, P. and Mockel, J., Toroidal CVT with Compact Roller Suspension, VDI-Berichte Nr. 1709, 2002, pp.623-637
- Zaretsky, E. V., Poplawski, J. V. and Miller, C. R., Rolling Bearing Life Prediction - Past, Present, and Future, International Tribology Conference 2000, Japanese Society of Tribology, Nagasaki, Japan, October 30 to November 2, 2000.