This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Assessment of the Thor and Hybrid III Crash Dummies: Steering Wheel Rim Impacts to the Upper Abdomen
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 08, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This investigation explored THOR's force-deflection response to upper abdomen/lower ribcage steering wheel rim impacts in comparison to the Hybrid III and cadaver test subjects. The stationary subjects were impacted by a ballasted surrogate wheel propelled at 4 m/s, a test condition designed to approximate the upper abdomen impacting a steering wheel rim in a frontal crash. Both the standard THOR and the Hybrid III crash dummies were substantially stiffer than the cadavers. Removing THOR's torso skin and foam from the upper abdomen and replacing the standard Hybrid III abdomen with a prototype gel-filled unit produced force-deflection results that were more similar to the cadavers. THOR offers advantages over the Hybrid III because of its ability to measure abdominal deflection. THOR, with modification, would be a useful instrument with which to assess the crashworthiness of steering assemblies and restraint systems in frontal crashes. However, development of an improved THOR abdomen should be preceded by an effort to better characterize human force-deflection response and to determine injury thresholds.
CitationShaw, G., Lessley, D., Bolton, J., and Crandall, J., "Assessment of the Thor and Hybrid III Crash Dummies: Steering Wheel Rim Impacts to the Upper Abdomen," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0310, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-0310.
- Augustine J, Perdeck E, Digges, K, Lombardo L, Malliaris A. Injuries Sustained by Airbag Protected Drivers in Occupant Protection Technologies for Frontal Impact. SAE special publication, SP-1144, SAE paper no. 960660.1996.
- Cavanaugh JM, Nyquist GW, Goldberg SJ, King AI. Lower Abdominal Tolerance and Response. Proc. 30th Stapp Car Crash Conference, pp. 41-63. Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA. 1986.
- Digges, K.; Haffner, M.; Cohen, D.; Eppinger, R.. Crash injury analysis of measurement needs for an improved anthropomorphic test device. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, D.C. International IRCOBI Conference on the Biomechanics of Impacts Proceedings 1988.
- Eppinger, R. H., Marcus, J.H., Morgan, R.M. Development of Dummy and Injury Index for NHTSA's Thoracic Side Impact Protection Research Program, Paper 840885, Twenty-Seventh Stapp Car Crash Conference Proc., Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA. 1984.
- Hardy WN, and Schneider LW. Development and Refinement of Abdominal-Response Corridors Project D.2a Final Report UMTRI-2001-10 July 2001.
- Hardy WN, Schneider LW, Rouhana SW. Abdominal Impact Response to Rigid-Bar, Seatbelt, and Airbag Loading Stapp Vol 45 pp1 November 2001.
- Kroell CK, Schneider DC, and Nahum AM. Impact tolerance and response to the human thorax. Proc. 15th Stapp Car Crash Conference, pp. 84-134. Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA. 1971.
- Kroell CK, Schneider DC, and Nahum AM. Impact tolerance and response to the human thorax II. Proc. 18th Stapp Car Crash Conference, pp. 383-457. SAE paper no. 741187. Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA. 1974.
- Kumar D, Rainey J, Kotton B. Tracheoesophageal fistula and massive pneumoperitoneum after prolonged mechanical ventilation. Southern Medical Journal Vol. 94 No. 10 pp 1027-1029 October 2001.
- Lobdell, Kroell, Schneider, Hering, and Nahum in Human Impact Response Measurement and Simulation Proceedings of the Symposium on Human Impact Response Oct 1972. King W and Mertz H Eds Plenum Press New York 1973 p 233
- Lau V, and Viano D. The viscous criterion -bases and applications of an injury severity index for soft tissue. Proc. 30th Stapp Car Crash Conference. SAE, Warrendale PA. 1986.
- Mays R. Bursting injuries of the liver. Arch Surg Vol. 93: 93-106. July 1966.
- Nusholtz G, Kaiker P, Huelke D, Suggit B. Thoraco-abdominal response to steering wheel impacts. SAE paper no. 851737, SAE, Warrendale, PA. 1985.
- Nusholtz G and Kaiker P. Abdominal response to steering wheel loading. 14th ESV Conference Proceedings Paper No. 94-SI-O-05, May, 1994.
- Nusholtz G, Kaiker P, Lehman J. Steering System Abdominal Impact Trauma. MVMA Project No. 7131 Final Report. Report No. UMTRI-88-19. University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute. April 1988.
- Rouhana SW. Biomechanics of Abdominal Trauma in Accidental Injury Mechanics and Prevention 2nd Ed. Nahum A and Melvin J Editors. Springer-Verlag, New York 2002.
- Rouhana SW, Elhagediab AM, Walbridge T, Hardy WN, Schneider LW. Development of a reusable, rate-sensitive abdomen for the Hybrid III dummy. Proc. 45th Stapp Car Crash Conference. SAE, Warrendale PA. 2001.
- Rangarajan, Shams, T.,N., White, R., Oster, J, Hjerpe, E., Haffner (1998). Response of THOR in Frontal Sled Testing in Different Restraint Conditions. IRCOBI Conference Proceedings, Sept. 1998.
- Schneider L.W., Haffner M.P., Eppinger R.H., Salloum M.J., Beebe M.S., Rouhana S.W., King A.I., Hardy W.N., Neatherly R.F. Development of an Advanced ATD Thorax System for Improved Injury Assessment in Frontal Crash Environments. SAE paper no. 922520, SAE, Warrendale, PA. 1992.
- Schneider LW, King AI, Beebe MS. Design Requirements and Specifications: Thorax-Abdomen Development Task. Interim Report. Trauma Assessment Device Development Program. UMTRI-89-20. DOT HS 807 511. November 1989.
- Xu L, Jensen J, Brynes K, Kim A, Agaram V, Davis K, Hultman R, Kostyniuk G, Marshall M, Mertz H, Nusholtz G, Rouhana S, Scherer R., Comparative performance evaluation of THOR and Hybrid III. SAE paper no. 2000-01-0161 SAE, Warrendale, PA. 2000.